Re: Left Dragging Not Working

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Left Dragging Not Working

★★★ Novice

Hello all!

This is a strange issue... and also one that's making me want to scream into a pillow!

I had NO problems with this when I used my PC--I only switched to Mac recently, and suddenly the following issue has come up:

In CAS, when clicking and dragging ANYTHING to the left, the game will fight against it. That is, unless I'm moving the mouse quickly. When first attempting to click and drag to the left, the game will normally "assume" I'm attempting to drag to the right. So if I'm turning the character, for instance, they will always turn in the same direction, no matter which way I'm moving the mouse. If I'm trying to resize a nose by dragging to the left, I'll find my mouse moving the nose upwards.

I'm having this issue with two mice, and it is not acting up in any other game, so it seems to be exclusively a Sims 4 problem.

Message 1 of 13 (1,869 Views)

@SchacherTV

If you've come from PC it may be you just need to get used to Mac controls Standard smile Have a look in System Preferences > Mouse and check the scroll direction and tracking speed is on the setting you like. You can make other changes to suit your style too.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 13 (1,854 Views)

Mouse Dragging to the Left - Not working

★★★ Novice

Hi Everyone--

Here for the 2nd time to see if this terrible issue can be solved...

I recently got a Mac, and playing Sims 4 has been... difficult, to say the least.

Whenever I try and gradually click-and-drag something to the left, it'll automatically go right. I'm attaching a YouTube link below (since the size of my recording is too big for answers.ea.com) of myself dragging the mouse to the left, with the sim rotating in the WRONG direction. I slowly increase the speed, which eventually leads to the game understanding what I'm trying to do. However, it's quite the pain! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2lAzv6HdPU&feature=youtu.be (Yes, I'm dragging to the left throughout the entire video. Never once dragged in another direction).

I've tried all of the mouse settings on Mac, disabled the Origin In-Game Overlay, uninstalled/reinstalled the game, changed the resolution, and tried both fullscreen and windowed mode. Can't figure anything out!

Message 3 of 13 (1,816 Views)

Re: Mouse Dragging to the Left - Not working

★★★ Novice

Oh god FINALLY I found someone having the same issue! I've just spent 2 hours trawling Google for answers but all I could find were complaints about an issue that was patched out ages ago.

I also just switched from a Windows laptop to one of the new M1 chip desktop Macs (mentioning just in case it's helpful because I know that thing's caused quite a bit of chaos elsewhere) and I've just redownloaded all my games on it, so it's literally freshly installed. No mods or CC, no Reshade which other posts I've read blames mouse issues on, I've disabled Origin in-game and checked Discord overlay is off (turns out it's not supported on Mac anyway).

Whenever I try to click and drag anything left in the game – rotating the sim in CAS, etc – I get huge amounts of resistance the slower I go, but no resistance at all while dragging right. I have both a trackpad and a magic mouse and it does it while using either.

Please, please someone help!

Message 4 of 13 (1,736 Views)

@lotosparvula

Reshade doesn't work on Mac unfortunately Frown

Did you play around with the settings in System Preferences for the mouse and trackpad?

Try repairing the game a couple of times too, see if that helps.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 13 (1,728 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Yeah I've tried repairing the game along with all expansions, even though they were freshly installed on a brand new Mac... and I checked out the settings both for mouse and trackpad, but those only change how fast or slow the cursor moves... it still pushes right when I drag left slowly in game (only in Sims 4, no issue anywhere else). It's fine if I move the cursor fast, but if I'm in CAS trying to fine-tune facial details or whatever it's a nightmare.

I did notice scrolling using multi-touch on either mouse or trackpad is also very resistant – that wasn't in the OP but would be interesting to know if that's just me or not.

The easiest way to describe it for me is like, if you've ever experienced joycon drift on Nintendo Switch? It's like that, but only when you're clicking and holding and dragging to the left, it pulls in the opposite direction.

Message 6 of 13 (1,717 Views)

@lotosparvula

Yeah, I can understand what you're trying to say Standard smile I'm not sure what else to suggest but if you do manage to fix it, please come back and post to help others who may also have it. I have a M1 MacBook Air and it doesn't happen on that so wondering whether it's something local on your Mac causing it or the separate Trackpad/Mouse.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 13 (1,698 Views)

★★★ Novice

I also have this issue! Have you found a solution yet?

Message 8 of 13 (1,345 Views)

Message 9 of 13 (1,335 Views)

★ Novice

Almost two years since this post and I am still having this issue. Is there still no fix for this??? I bought my Mac (2021 MacBook Pro) a few months ago and have been having this issue since. 

The only thing that is the same between my old PC and this new Mac is that I logged into my origin account. Is it associated with my Origin account?? I would try to download the game on a different account but I definitely can’t afford to be buying the game and my expansions again. 

Is this an issue that needs a patch on the game’s/origin’s end? Is this just a waiting game for them to fix it. It’s been almost two years. I just want to play and this issue is making it near impossible. 

Message 10 of 13 (1,101 Views)