Re: Keep getting Unknown Error when trying to launch?

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Keep getting Unknown Error when trying to launch?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie
Spoiler

Hi, So I've been using Origin to install my Sims 3 games onto my laptop. However, when I install some of the expansions they don't show up in applications and then I can't open the game. It just comes up with Unknown Error occurred. I'm thinking it has something to do with the certain expansion packs that don't show up after install. Any suggestions/help? I've uninstalled and re installed them and still no luck. Other expansion packs work, it's just the certain ones that I believe are messing it up.   

Message 1 of 18 (806 Views)

[ Edited ]

@bds890

Mac or Windows PC? I'm guessing Mac because you referred to your Applications folder but please could you confirm?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 18 (791 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm getting this problem, and I haven't even tried installing the expansions yet. I just installed the game on my Macbook Pro (Retina, 2012). I even tried installing the Super Patcher (To-9355-1.67.2.024017), and still no success in even getting the game to launch. 

And I have to admit, I am encountering the same sorts of difficulties with Customer Support. I find it very, very odd that they work pretty hard to conceal their phone number from the public. Suspicious, even.

Message 3 of 18 (751 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@hexhandy  To contact EA customer service differs as to the region where you live. Is your computer a pc or mac?  Where did you buy your games?

Message 4 of 18 (741 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice
I'm using a Macbook pro (Retina, 2012) with plebty of memory and hd space.i havent installed the expansions yet; i wanted to see if i could get the game running all by itself first.

I even tried tge super patch. Still "unknown error" and game crash.

And im in the US.
Message 5 of 18 (729 Views)

@hexhandy

The super patch isn't a magical fix. Can you please provide the full specs. of your machine? Instructions here on the information needed - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4756...

Moving this thread to the Mac forum too.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 18 (724 Views)

★★★ Novice
Mcbook Pro Retina Pro running El Capitan.
Message 7 of 18 (720 Views)

@hexhandy

I need more information than that, please follow the link I provided in my previous post. I cannot help you if you don't help me Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 18 (717 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

My apologies, Blue.

My specs are as follows:

• Operating System (Version)El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G1611)
  • Mac modelMacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
  • Processor

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

• Memory (RAM)

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

• Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Intel HD Graphics 4000

I hope that helps you better. Can I get a link to the Mac Forum where you cross-posted this?

Additionally, I have since run the uninstall program of anything Sims3-related from the computer and reinstalled the digital copy from the Origin app. The physical game (and the expansions) were bought in the US. When I double click the game icon, I get the same alert box telling an "Unknown Error Occured". and the game doesn't start. Btw, the version that was installed was v1.00.008361

Message 9 of 18 (690 Views)

@hexhandy

Thanks. This is the Mac forum, I moved your post here Standard smile

Sims 3 does not run well on El Capitan and Sierra but it should run on your Mac as your NVIDIA GPU is supported and there's usually no problem with just the base game. Using the uninstaller doesn't get rid of all the hidden files so let's start from a clean slate as some residual ones may have been left behind:

1. Cleanly uninstall the game using the uninstaller and manually deleting the Library files. Instructions here
  2. Run the Origin reset tool then download and run the installer for the base game.
  3. When the game has finished installing, download and run the 1.67 patch for the digital version of the game (link in my signature below).
  4. After it has finished patching restart your Mac then try and launch the game from the app within your Applications folder, not through Origin.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 10 of 18 (674 Views)