Re: Issue with Snow in Seasons

by isaetoilerina

Original Post

Issue with Snow in Seasons

★ Apprentice

Has anyone else had an issue with snow not appearing on rendered lots? It only appears where there is "flooring" placed on a terrain. Everything is covered in snow in the map but when you go to a lot, it is not there.

Message 1 of 12 (788 Views)

@isaetoilerina  That's fascinating.  Could you attach a deviceconfig, so we can see your hardware and settings?  It's in in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  You'll need to manually open the folders; the file won't show up in a search.  You can delete your user and computer names, about 25 lines down, but there's nothing else in that file that can identify you.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 12 (768 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict Here you go! Let me know if there is anything else I can provide. I am pretty curious as to why this is happening.

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 3 of 12 (763 Views)

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Hey! I hate to be a bother, I know you are busy helping other people, but did you find anything notable in the DeviceConfig that may be a cause of the issue?
Message 4 of 12 (725 Views)

@isaetoilerina  You're not being a bother at all.  I partly wanted the deviceconfig to see your hardware, and partly to see your settings to I could try exactly the same ones in my own game.  I didn't have time to test last night as I wanted, so I was going to do it today when I got a chance.

I will say that your graphics chip is below the minimum requirement for the 64-bit version of Sims 3.  That doesn't mean you can't play, but you may see strange graphics effects, perhaps including this one.  Snow is particularly demanding to render, as is rain.  On the other hand, this could be more widespread and totally unrelated to your hardware.  I've tested rain but not snow so far, and no one else has reported it, so I really have no idea at this point.

Message 5 of 12 (714 Views)

★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Gotcha! That makes sense... lol, my poor laptop is doing its best. I will tell you that rain appears perfectly normal in my game, and I haven't seen any crazy graphic effects... except the lack of snow, of course! I can live with it for now. Thank you for your input.
Message 6 of 12 (711 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I've had the same issue. This also affects the terrain in foreign worlds like France for me, where lots which should have grass load as gray. It could be my graphics aren't up to spec, but it was never an issue before. 

Message 7 of 12 (704 Views)

@miro4060  Please attach your deviceconfig.log, in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  You'll need to manually open the folders; the file won't show up in a search.  You can delete your user and computer names, about 25 lines down, but there's nothing else in that file that can identify you.

Message 8 of 12 (690 Views)

@isaetoilerina  Sorry for the late reply.  I meant to post here but just forgot over the weekend.

Anyway, I tested out your settings and saw basically the same thing you did.  Enabling Advanced Rendering makes the lots' snow coverings much more nuanced though.  Here's a screenshot, with the middle lot the only actively rendered one:

snow rendered lots 3.png

Other than Advanced Rendering and one setting that can't be changed within the options menu, I was using the same settings as you do.

Message 9 of 12 (642 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Hi all, 

this is also happening in my game. I've attached my deviceconfig log below. 

Let me know if you need any other information. 

Many thanks. 

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 10 of 12 (577 Views)