Re: Is there a way to repair a corrupted save file?

by SDPhantomGamer

Original Post

Is there a way to repair a corrupted save file?

★★ Novice

SO, I've been playing the same save pretty much for 1,5 years. I have a very "generations" gameplay style and every single household in it has a family tree with ancestors going 2, 3 generations. I'm very attached to it, and would like to keep playing it, BUT for the past month or so it has been throwing up random LEs I cant seem to get rid of, even after taking out all mods, deleting the cache, repairing the game. I started a new save and sure enough, no LEs – the problem is in my save file.

I'm guessing it's gotten corrupted somewhere along the way, is there any way I can repair the file? Because even if I saved all my lots and households to the library and downloaded them onto a new save, it wouldn't be the same because all their relationships and ancestry would be gone. Help?

Message 1 of 3 (626 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

There isn't anything I can think of to fix the save itself. The game does keep a copy of the last 5 versions of a save if that helps any. To access them, you go to "Load Game" from the main menu. Select your save slot. To the left of the play button is "Recover Save". This opens the list of past save versions. Clicking on any of them copies it to a new save slot with "[Recovered]" appended to the name. From there, you can load it like any other save.

Message 2 of 3 (585 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@alad050193 - Try the recovery that @SDPhantomGamer suggested first, it's excellent advice. If you've been dealing with the corruption for a while, you may not have any good auto-saves, though.

Even though you've done the repair and determined the issue only happens on your legacy, you might be able to save your legacy by resetting the game. Follow the instructions for the Mac here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/backing-up-and-resetting-the-sims-4/ Once the game is reset, try copying each of the save files one at a time from the backup folder to your main documents folder. Maybe the corruption is in an item or house file that's used in the legacy Fingers crossed

I have a legacy challenge just about to start gen 5, so I feel your pain. In my case, I lost all the files in my saves folder in gen 2 and had to start over. That taught me to do regular backups of my saves, not just using "save as", just in case. Now, before patches or major changes in my game I will back up the entire TS4 folder, and weekly or so I'll copy just the saves folders to another folder on my hard drive as backup. It was a hard lesson to learn. I hope you're able to recover your game. Happy Simming!

Message 3 of 3 (570 Views)