Installed The Sims 3 on Mac but cannot find it to uninstall it

by belleessie

Original Post

Installed The Sims 3 on Mac but cannot find it to uninstall it

★★ Novice

I didn't really know how to word the title because I know The Sims 3 does not currently work on Macs, but: I heard yesterday that the updated 64-bit version was out so I tried to download my copy on Origin to see if it worked. I realised not long after that the new version is not out yet. After The Sims 3 downloaded it immediately said 'install' again on Origin (because it didn't work), however I cannot find it anywhere in my applications or documents - so I can't actually uninstall it! When I checked my laptop's storage it was around 7gb less than it was before I installed it, so clearly the game is somewhere on my laptop, however I can't find it anywhere. I just want to uninstall it until the new 64-bit version comes out. If anyone could help, that would be great! Thanks!

Message 1 of 5 (539 Views)

Re: Installed The Sims 3 on Mac but cannot find it to uninstall it

@belleessie  I don't think the game actually installed anything, that is if your Mac is running Catalina.  The installer is also 32-bit, so it wouldn't have run.  I'm guessing the extra storage is from Origin's download cache, which you can clear just by running the Origin reset tool:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

If you want to double-check that there are no Sims 3 files on your computer (there really shouldn't be, but maybe you'd like to look), this uninstall guide lists everything you'd find if the game were in fact installed:

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (517 Views)

★★ Novice

I don't think my Mac is running Catalina - it currently says it is still Sierra (10.12.6) even though I thought I had fully updated the laptop a few days ago. But I just tried resetting and re-downloading Origin and it worked! My storage is back up to (nearly) what it was before I tried installing TS3. Thank you so much for helping. Hope you have a good day!

Message 3 of 5 (477 Views)

[ Edited ]

@belleessie  That's great to hear.  By the way, the minimum requirement for the 64-bit version of Sims 3 is High Sierra, although I don't know whether that means it won't run on Sierra at all or just won't run well.  So if you're looking forward to the update, you may want to plan to install at least HS, if not Mojave.  You can see the full list of minimum and recommended requirements here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/An-announcement-for-The-Sims-3-players-on-Mac/m-p/963...

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 5 (475 Views)

★★ Guide

I have the same issue too - the game "downloaded" but wouldn't install (since it was still the 32-bit version). 

You can remove the download by going into Preferences in Origin (or Apple Key + comma) --> go to Installs and Saves --> Legacy Game Installers and select Delete all installers. that should do the trick and give you your disk space left. 

Assuming once the 64-bit version is released, the right installer will download then 

Message 5 of 5 (426 Views)