Re: I having troubles with Origin on the Mac

by Vanidorr

Original Post

I having troubles with Origin on the Mac

★★★★ Novice
I updated to Catalina and now I can’t open the the sims, I have my game stored on a LaCie 2TB external hard drive I had absolutely no problems playing on it everything ran smoothly until I update to Catalina. I opened origin and got this message: Origin is unable to install games in your chosen folder because the destination drive is not mounted. Please choose another folder. I have never received this message before until a few hours ago after I updated. I clicked restore default thinking I will be able to change it back but when I clicked change folder nothing pops up, no matter how much times I click it nothing pops up.

Message 1 of 32 (1,870 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@Keira_bruhare you able to unmount and remount the drive through terminal? Or move the folder from the ExHD to the Mac Documents folder to see if it will boot from there?

Edit: Does the ExHD even show up as connected in Finder? I have that issue a lot hence why I've had to learn how to do it through Terminal

Message 2 of 32 (1,811 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Vanidorr Yes I tried all of that last night with someone from EA but nothing worked, in the end he told me to report it as bug or come here. I did both.
Message 3 of 32 (1,808 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Keira_bruh Ah, apologies for the repeat! I hope you find a solution soon
Message 4 of 32 (1,802 Views)

@Keira_bruh

It may be because of the new security updates in Catalina preventing your Mac from opening an application on an external drive. Can you move the game to your Applications folder, update the location in Origin, and see if you can load it?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 5 of 32 (1,770 Views)

★ Apprentice

That’s the exact same issue I’m having have you figured out how to fix it yet??? 

Message 6 of 32 (1,705 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Nope nothing works for me. Origin updated but still nothing. 

Message 7 of 32 (1,700 Views)

Mac Update Problems

★ Novice

I have tried troubleshooting this on EAs website and on twitter and I've done everything I've seen. I finally got origin to download but the catch is that I cannot change my game download location and when I try the app stops responding. I downloaded the sims 4 but it was not popping up anywhere without searching for it and then I moved it to my external hard drive but it will not launch at all. Anyone know of any fixes?

Message 8 of 32 (1,623 Views)

Re: Mac Update Problems

@kgilr0216

Have you updated to Catalina? Apple have introduced new security and permission measures which are causing these kind of issues.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 9 of 32 (1,572 Views)

Re: Mac Update Problems

★ Novice

Yes, I have upgraded to Catalina.

Message 10 of 32 (1,541 Views)