Re: How well will my 2019 MacBook Pro handle The Sims 4?

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How well will my 2019 MacBook Pro handle The Sims 4?

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

This MacBook was a gift and I want it to last as long as possible. I don't want to deal any permanent damage so I'd like some educated answers on whether the graphics cards can handle the game. I would like to play it on medium settings at minimum. I've burnt out a graphics card before on a laptop where it worked fine for the first few months. So I've learned the hard way. I look forward to your responses and appreciate them!

Tech specs:

2.6GHz 6‑core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz, with 12MB shared L3 cache

Configurable to 2.4GHz 8‑core Intel Core i9, Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz, with 16MB shared L3 cache

• AMD Radeon Pro 5300M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory and automatic graphics switching
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • Configurable to AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 4GB of GDDR6 memory or AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro-16/specs/

(I have the 512 GB option)

Message 1 of 6 (4,834 Views)

Accepted Solution

@kristinkelsey

Lovely Mac Standard smile

Just make sure you either elevate it an inch or so on a hard surface or use a USB cooling pad when you play so air can circulate and it doesn't overheat. No playing on nice warm comfy surfaces like pillows or duvets! The OS will do a good job of throttling power when it needs to, sometimes too good a job.

I still have a 2012 15" MacBook Pro with NVIDIA 1GB GPU going strong and able to play the game well so provided you're sensible you should be fine. There is of course always the risk that hardware can fail but that is applicable to any computer.

I always play with all settings on the highest possible and play for hours at a time. My main Mac for playing on is a 2017 15" MBP with 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon Pro 560 4 GB and 16GB RAM running Catalina.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (4,787 Views)

All Replies

@kristinkelsey  I've moved your post to the Mac section.  Nice computer by the way.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (4,812 Views)

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Sorry and thank you for that!
Message 3 of 6 (4,801 Views)

@kristinkelsey

Lovely Mac Standard smile

Just make sure you either elevate it an inch or so on a hard surface or use a USB cooling pad when you play so air can circulate and it doesn't overheat. No playing on nice warm comfy surfaces like pillows or duvets! The OS will do a good job of throttling power when it needs to, sometimes too good a job.

I still have a 2012 15" MacBook Pro with NVIDIA 1GB GPU going strong and able to play the game well so provided you're sensible you should be fine. There is of course always the risk that hardware can fail but that is applicable to any computer.

I always play with all settings on the highest possible and play for hours at a time. My main Mac for playing on is a 2017 15" MBP with 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon Pro 560 4 GB and 16GB RAM running Catalina.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 4 of 6 (4,788 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you for that helpful tip!

Message 5 of 6 (4,757 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi

does your MacBook Pro overheating too? I've got a MacBook Pro 15'' 2019 identical to yours, except for AMD Radeon Pro 555x as dedicated GPU.

I've bought a cooling stand with 5 fans, but when I touch the MacBook I can feel it really hot!

Is it the same for you? 

Thanks 😁

Message 6 of 6 (3,064 Views)