Re: How to change the installation path

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

How to change the installation path

★★★ Novice

I wanted to have the sims on an external hard drive. I know it's not recommended, but I don't have any more space on my mac. I've scrolled through endless posts about how to change the installation path, but this (https://crinrict.com/blog/2019/06/origin-how-to-change-the-installation-path.html) is very outdated and doesn't work anymore. I was wondering if anyone knows "the new way" to do this. 

Message 31 of 261 (8,466 Views)

@cruelaugust

Move the Sims 4 app from your Applications folder to the external. Open Origin and go to Origin > Preferences > Installs & Saves and change the game library location to your external.

If you are running Catalina make sure that you allow Origin access to external drives when prompted, and the game if it prompts for it.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 32 of 261 (8,440 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora I don't have the sims installed anymore. I'm trying to reinstall it on the har drive. 

Message 33 of 261 (8,436 Views)

@cruelaugust

That's fine Standard smile Just change the game library location in Origin to your external and then download the game, it should install straight to it.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 34 of 261 (8,420 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you!

Message 35 of 261 (8,417 Views)

@cruelaugust

You're welcome Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 36 of 261 (8,396 Views)

Re: Can't find External Hard Drive in Origin MAC

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi everyone, 

I had this issue too, using my Mac to install Origin games on my WD External Hard Drive. The Hard Drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). 

After following Bluebellflora's instructions multiple times, I still couldn't get it to work. I tried reformatting the hard drive to ExFat and MS-DOS (Fat). I even tried installing Origin on the Mac first and then moving it to the hard drive, but none of this worked. 

Eventually I formatted my external hard drive back to its original format of Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and gave it one last shot following Bluebellflora's instructions. I noticed that in their instructions, they said type in /Volume/[the name of your external hard drive] and then gave an example that says /Volumes/Backup. I had been typing Volume instead of Volumes. Once I searched Volumes with an 's' I immediately found my external hard drive and all my problems were solved. 

If you follow Bluebellflora's instructions closely and search /Volumes/[the name of your external hard drive] it should work for you. 

Message 37 of 261 (5,872 Views)

@HarryD25

Ah yes! Thanks for the correction - what a typo. I’ll edit it now Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 38 of 261 (5,865 Views)

★ Novice
@Majrolein that was easy, thank you.
Message 39 of 261 (5,770 Views)

★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora I have the same external hard drive as @Bluebellflora and I formatted to MS-DOS (Fat32) and I can't even put Origins on it... I swear technology hates me right now.

@Bluebellflora you are not alone with this issue.
Message 40 of 261 (5,679 Views)