Re: Help with sims 3, and origin game launching please![Mac]

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Help with sims 3, and origin game launching please![Mac]

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

So, I have a Macbook Air, and I just bought/downloaded/installed The Sims 3, and 6 expansion packs for it as well. Now, when i go to play the game the usual blue sims 3 launcher pops up, and the game symbol pops up on my dashboard but doesn't do much more. when i click play on the blue launcher it tells me game is already running, so i click on the game but it doesn't lauch and both the launcher and game just quit on me, or freeze. a few times a small box with the sim's diamond symbol popped up, looking like the game was trying to launch but it never did. I have also bought the sims 4 before this on origin and a few expansion packs, and that works as great as ever. However I like the sims 3 more and wish to play it especially since I bought all the expansion packs and what not. Anyone know what to do?

@Bluebellflora  please and thank you in advance

Message 71 of 274 (651 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Help with sims 3, and origin game launching please![Mac]

@Brittanyanno

Is it one of the MacBook Airs listed in this thread? http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Mac-Issues-playing-on-newer-post-2013-Macs/m-p/4935394#U4935394

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 72 of 274 (643 Views)

Re: 1.67 won't download; game won't play[Mac]

@Cinema0123

Please see the stickied thread related to post-2013 Macs and Sims 3 - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Mac-Issues-playing-on-newer-post-2013-Macs/m-p/4935394#U4935394

If you still want to patch to 1.67 the link is in my signature below.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 73 of 274 (652 Views)

Re: [Mac] Issues playing on newer (post 2013) Macs

@internetdog2004

The other stickied Mac thread below this one is specific to the disc error problems - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Mac-Disc-Authorisation-No-Disc-Errors/m-p/4882518#U4882518

AHQSigImage.png
Message 74 of 274 (2,355 Views)

The Sims 3 won't load past launcher.

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I purchased copies of the Sims 3, 5 expansion packs and a stuff pack and have downloaded and installed them all onto my new Mid 2015 Macbook Pro 11,5. I have not been able to get any of them to load past the launcher since downloading. When I go to run it says I need to install an update which then does't download all the way. And when I press play the launcher crashes and game won't load. I have contacted EA who ran all the trouble shooting and sent me a patch to download which I have done and it says it's not compatible with the Sims 3. Any ideas on what is happening?

@rozalouise The game is not compatible on your Mac due to the graphics card not being supported. I have moved your post to this stickied thread, please read the opening post and try the workaround. If it doesn't work for you then I would suggest contacting EA for a refund - http://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/new/ - BluebellFlora

Message 75 of 274 (2,356 Views)

Re: [Mac] Game stuck on blue start screen with plumbob

★ Novice

Hello, i have your same issue, and as i saw you had figured it out could you help me fix mine, i tried the solution on the former post but even after that my game won't pass through the green plumbob page,  could you please help me

Message 76 of 274 (2,346 Views)

Wondering why EA didn't give a heads up...[Mac]

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

So, i've been looking through the forums for a few days now, and trying to figure out why i too, cannot play the game i've been obsessed with since i was little. I'm actually wondering, if there is a problem for mac users to play this game, why is EA allowing mac users to "download for mac". Why not let us know from the beginning.. I've bought every sims, and expansions that have been released for years. This is such a disappointment. And the graphics are more than enough and should allow the game to run, so is EA having a problem with Apple alone or... ?
Is it ever going to work, or are do they not care at all about their customers? 
I had the same problem, it would freeze and i would have to restart, but then one time it actually worked and i was about to begin creating a sim, and after a while it froze again.
I used to be a huge fan, honestly, great game, but this is ridiculous.

@Bluebellflora  please and thank you in advance

Message 77 of 274 (721 Views)

Re: Wondering why EA didn't give a heads up...[Mac]

@brazukinhaa

Unfortunately the biggest problem with Sims 3 is Cider. Unlike Sims 1 and Sims 2 which were natively written for OS X, Sims 3 is the Windows version "wrapped" using Cider so the game thinks it's running in Windows when it actually isn't. This resulted in a massive hit performance wise on even the most powerful Macs with tons of RAM, quad core i7 CPUs and 1Gb/2Gb/4Gb GPUs. Sadly most post-2013 Macs are not compatible with the game due to their (mostly) integrated Intel graphics which are not supported. For whatever reason EA have decided not to update the game to accommodate the newer Macs so there are an awful lot of disappointed, angry and upset Mac users who now have no way of playing their game. There is a workaround you can try if you have one of the affected Macs, some have managed to get it to work, others haven't.

Sims 4 is natively written for OS X thankfully (and was 64-bit from the start, unlike Windows users who have only just had their games updated this month to 64-bit capability Wink ) but that's no consolation to the thousands of Mac users who cannot play Sims 3 anymore and have no interest in Sims 4.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 78 of 274 (713 Views)

★ Novice

I tried your workaround and got stuck when you said 'copy and paste the GraphicsCard.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr to your desktop". What the heck are those and how to I get them? I looked and looked and couldn't find anyplace where you said anything about them.

Message 79 of 274 (2,340 Views)

@Cinema0123 wrote:

I tried your workaround and got stuck when you said 'copy and paste the GraphicsCard.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr to your desktop". What the heck are those and how to I get them? I looked and looked and couldn't find anyplace where you said anything about them.

@Cinema0123

The first part of that sentence tells you how to find them:

"Now go to Applications > The Sims 3, right click on The Sims 3 base game and select Show Package Contents. Navigate to Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Game > Bin and copy and paste the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files onto your desktop. This is a backup in case the files get screwed up in the editing process."

AHQSigImage.png
Message 80 of 274 (2,333 Views)