HOW TO UNINSTALL LEGACY EDITION AFTER SEEING I HAVE A 64 BIT??

by VelvetKitteh

Original Post

Accepted Solution

HOW TO UNINSTALL LEGACY EDITION AFTER SEEING I HAVE A 64 BIT??

★★★★ Novice

So basically, I did what I was dreading after reading about the legacy edition. It said I had to and I assumed my computer was a 32 bit just as it told me to download it. So I did. After I checked and realised mines a 64 bit. Which was relieving as I don't want the sims without the gallery and the Legacy edition is something I despise. The problem is that it's now installed and  I don't know how to get rid of it? I deleted the file, it came back, (the folder it created) opened sims and it was the disgusting Legacy Version (my opinions are strong...), then deleted the folder again, only to repair my game (something I read) and saw it repaired the legacy edition too so it's still there. PLEASE HELP! I'm really upset and have spent so much money on the sims and if I can't get my game back to the normal version I will be furious and will want all my money back. I'm aware I sound like an angry 13-year-old, but I'm honestly not. Just very upset and lost on what to do.

Message 1 of 12 (24,756 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: HOW TO UNINSTALL LEGACY EDITION AFTER SEEING I HAVE A 64 BIT??

@VelvetKitteh

I get why you are upset over a game you really love, believe me I do Frown But there are a number of things you should consider:

1. Your Mac is 10 years old and has served you admirably and with devotion. But it is now old and not capable of supporting newer technology. I can't imagine there are many 10 year old Windows machines out there that can still run the game.
2. Apple class any Mac older than 6 as vintage and unsupported.
3. No, you won't get a refund and I think it would be unreasonable to expect one. You can still play the game you bought as it is required to be installed for the Legacy Edition to work. You cannot however install any more content.
4. The Gallery is not part of the base game, it is an additional free online feature provided by Maxis/EA.
5. Apple have decided to drop support for OpenGL and move to Metal which has pretty much forced EA into this update and providing the Legacy Edition for those whose Macs don't support Metal.

I think it's time for you to be realistic and accept that your Mac is a wonderful machine still but is an old lady now. I mean that in the nicest way, it's always sad when Macs get old and aren't capable anymore.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 4 of 12 (24,666 Views)

All Replies

@VelvetKitteh

Forget about 32-bit, it is confusing a lot of Mac users. The game on Mac has always been 64-bit.

The relevant bit for you is whether your Mac supports Metal. If it does then the normal version of the game will run for you, irrespective of you having downloaded the Legacy Edition. Which specific Mac do you have? If you want to uninstall the Legacy Edition then you will have to uninstall the entire game and download the normal version again, if your Mac supports Metal.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 12 (24,684 Views)

★★★★ Novice

My mac is a Macbook pro from 2009, OS X 10.9.5 and unable to update anymore. I just checked and I think it doesn't support metal... thank you for helping a lot, but this is also really upsetting knowing that I can only play Legacy Edition which is so unappealing to me, as the majority of game is thanks to the gallery, and 99% of the builds are from the gallery as I have an inability to build! I'm not sure what to do next - It may seem dramatic, but the amount of money I've spent on the game, gosh it must be well over £200 over the time of many Birthday gifts etc allowing me to spend such money as I have no money to go and buy a Mac which supports Metal. I really loved the sims 4 before this whole update and played it all the time. Seeing as I now have no way to play the same way as before, and it'd just be the blandest gameplay in existence, do you think they'll offer any refunds? I mean I know it's a ridiculous idea, but hear me out; surely my inability to not install Legacy Edition, which therefore changed and has stopped any further purchases or the use of my previous ones, surely that could be seen as a breach of consumer rights? Sorry for rambling, but as another Sims 4 player, what are your thoughts on the LEgacy Edition restricting gameplay for those who were fine with playing beforehand and have paid more money than they have on it? I feel it's unfair.

Message 3 of 12 (24,687 Views)

@VelvetKitteh

I get why you are upset over a game you really love, believe me I do Frown But there are a number of things you should consider:

1. Your Mac is 10 years old and has served you admirably and with devotion. But it is now old and not capable of supporting newer technology. I can't imagine there are many 10 year old Windows machines out there that can still run the game.
2. Apple class any Mac older than 6 as vintage and unsupported.
3. No, you won't get a refund and I think it would be unreasonable to expect one. You can still play the game you bought as it is required to be installed for the Legacy Edition to work. You cannot however install any more content.
4. The Gallery is not part of the base game, it is an additional free online feature provided by Maxis/EA.
5. Apple have decided to drop support for OpenGL and move to Metal which has pretty much forced EA into this update and providing the Legacy Edition for those whose Macs don't support Metal.

I think it's time for you to be realistic and accept that your Mac is a wonderful machine still but is an old lady now. I mean that in the nicest way, it's always sad when Macs get old and aren't capable anymore.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 12 (24,667 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you, sorry was a bit angry and hormonal yesterday and obviously got carried away! Just re-reading what I said makes me giggle as it's all absurd gibberish.

Thank you so much for everything and responding, and yes it's old, it used to be my mums about 2 years ago but despite my dad being an IT manager and getting partially broken/old laptops for free, I doubt I'll be able to get a new one in the future which is upsetting. I probably will have to save for a long time to afford a new one! But it's not a big priority right now.
Anyway, I keep going off on a tangent...

to sum up the whole situation, I will try to play with it how it is but probably will not enjoy it so will find something else to waste time with! I feel awful for those with Windows' who have a 32bit computer as even if it's new, they will lose the full sims game and that's really upsetting. 
I love the way you called my Mac an old lady! Very true, and now I think she's worthy of being called 'Dorris'. 

Message 5 of 12 (24,633 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I had the same problem so I upgraded my 10.10.5(?) to El Capitan so I could delete Legacy. After realising I had no idea how to do so, I did the following:

1. Open origin
  2. Go to your game details
  3. There'll be an option 'Launch options', click edit
  4. 'When launching this game' > Choose Sims 4 instead of the Legacy Edition

Message 6 of 12 (24,620 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@trixiaiketix I don't have that option
Message 7 of 12 (24,548 Views)

★★ Novice
@trixiaiketix i dont have the option of 'launch options', i have an option of 'advanced launch options' under 'game properties'. However this only gives me my language choice and 'Command line arguments'. I am on a mac which does not need the legacy edition, i just accidentally downloaded it. and i am VERY desperate to get it off, thanks Standard smile
Message 8 of 12 (20,130 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am the same, it wont let me download the sims legacy edition but cant change it back to sims 4 normal and wont let me buy it 

Message 9 of 12 (19,369 Views)

@aimeesmithh1 

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 10 of 12 (19,325 Views)