Re: Game won't place objects in build mode

by ih8sushi

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game won't place objects in build mode

★★★★★ Novice

Game was running great since December when the last fix came out but since the recent update, I am not able to place objects within houses. When I do, they disappear after trying to apply it... or... when I apply it, it says that I cannot intercept walls but there is nothing there for me to intercept. I have no custom content, and have done all of the basic troubleshooting etc. and it's still happening. I can build walls, pools, and place landscaping items, but lights, furniture, outdoor items etc. won't show up after placing the item. When I tried to start a fresh lot same thing. I tested it in different worlds and the same problem is happening. I tried to load homes that were built prior to this glitch and several of the items that I was not able to place were missing from these preloaded homes like lights for example. They are no longer in any of the homes I've previously built. Everything is missing.

Is anyone else having this same issue?

I am using MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Radeon Pro 560 4 GB, Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, macOSBigSur 11.0.1

Thanks

Message 1 of 22 (12,045 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora Got this fixed so I am sharing it with others. After a bit of sniffing around I found out the solution to this problem. So, removing your sims to launch another fresh game wasn't the problem because the fresh copy of the game was still acting up so this lead me to believe that the original files must be corrupted somehow. Someone asked me to repair the game with a fresh copy first (through the origin dashboard) to see if it worked and it did. Then I tested it on my original sims folder and selected repair game and it worked again. Tested it on the install on my spouses machine it worked as well as 3 of my other friends who were all having similar issues. Problem solved. If anyone is having these issues with certain objects not displaying - repair the game through the Origin console by selecting the game 'Sims 4' then clicking the little 'cog' icon, and select repair. This will fix any corrupted files without loosing any of the progress you made in the game.

View in thread

Message 11 of 22 (17,604 Views)

All Replies

@ih8sushi

Have you repaired the game?

Have you moved the whole Sims 4 folder to the desktop and launched a brand new, clean game?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 22 (12,020 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Yep done that. I did all the typical fixes and it still does it even with a fresh reinstall with no packs. So EA games will need a fix for this. It happens with lights consistently, as well as a bunch of other furniture. A fix would be needed for this as it's likely a programming error because I never had this issue before.

Message 3 of 22 (12,011 Views)

@ih8sushi

If it was a programming error it would be affecting every single Mac user, and it isn't.

Have you updated to the current version of Big Sur yet? 11.2.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 22 (11,991 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora Well it was working fine up until I installed the latest patch for the Sims so it's likely a programming issue. I am a developer so I know things just don't magically stop working unless there's a conflict with a recent patch. While it doesn't always happening on every machine it can still happen. I have several friends all with the same mac as myself who all are having the same issue and occurred at the same time as mine did. I don't play it a whole lot and they were the ones who alerted me to the issue. Also yes I updated to the latest BigSur and still having the issues. Did a fresh install with no expansion packs and it's happening on every lot. Even the prebuilt lots that come with the game. When I load a house, all the lights that were once there are missing. Hot tubs, missing. It appears to be a specific issue to certain furniture items. I've installed it on my spouses system who's never had the sims before on his machine and his is an older machine than mine, and I was able to produce the same results.
Message 5 of 22 (11,980 Views)

@ih8sushi 

Bizarre. I have it installed on 3 different machines, 3 different OSs and not one is experiencing it. One of them is the same as yours which, until it had a new top casing and logic board replacement last week, was running 11.1 and I still didn't experience it:

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 17.57.39.png

Are you sticking at 11.0.1 for a reason?

I believe there is a bug report for missing lights, have you checked the bug forum - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/bd-p/The-Sims-4-Bugs 

Players have reported missing items over the years, both Windows and macOS, it's nothing new with this patch but often seems to happen after a patch. Repairing the base game does not touch DLC and sometimes packs can become corrupted when updated  in which case you need to trash the DLC in the Sims 4 Packs folder and force a re-download. This is nothing to do with the programming of the game but rather Origin corrupting files, no conflict. This can also happen - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/-Game-Data-Incomplete-grey-llamas-red-and-white-sims-...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 22 (11,977 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I am thinking I am just done with the Sims4 games. I hate that I have invested so much money and there is no one I can physically call to troubleshoot the issues. The lack of support has exhausted me and especially when these bugs happen on some machines and not the others. I've done everything I can and as mentioned, I have updated my computer to the latest os so I think I am just done with it at this point. Loads of money down the drain and I'm done. Thanks for your assistance.

Message 7 of 22 (11,973 Views)

@ih8sushi

Yeah, it is very frustrating. You could try updating to 11.2, maybe that will miraculously fix it? Definitely worth a try Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 22 (11,970 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora I've mentioned it twice that I've already updated to 11.2
Message 9 of 22 (11,968 Views)

@ih8sushi

Oh sorry, I saw 11.0.1 in your post. Maybe one day you can get it working again.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 10 of 22 (11,965 Views)
sims-all-characters

Want more Sims?

Check out our Sims forums for tutorials and all things Sims.

View more

ts4-promo

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ts4-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help