Game periodically freezes after November 2020 Update

by tanyakaz

Original Post

Re: S4 Mac Platform Update *Crashing*

@tanyakaz

Do you have any lastCrash reports? You've c/p LastExceptions but lastCrash are helpful.

Missing items - there's a thread here https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/CURRENT-ISSUE-Items-Removed-message-no-items-actually-...

Walking in a storm - yeah, I think that's by design!

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 11 of 39 (656 Views)

★★ Apprentice

no, I do not have any, sorry. I think it's because it hasn't technically crashed.

Walking like they need to pee in a storm when they don't need to pee is by design? That's weird...

Btw, I've installed the Snowy Escape and tried playing for about an hour and did not run into the freezing issue. Perhaps, the update introduced something that was expecting the Snowy Escape to be present when I didn't actually have it yet? Anyway, I'll play some more tonight and see if the issue is resolved itself.

Thanks!

Message 12 of 39 (648 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I am having the exact same problem and I also have snowy escape.

Message 13 of 39 (640 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Ok, here is my latest report:

After installing the Snowy Escape, the first time around the game was fine - I went to snowboard, etc., played for an hour or two - did not run into freezing issue again.

Next time I tried to open the game, it failed to load - got stuck on the last loading screen, sat there for a while, started beachballing, my entire computer froze: the game wasn't in full screen but I could no longer move the mouse, type or switch to a different application. After a few minutes, my machine just kicked me out to the login screen and showed an error that Origin must be installed to run this application.
I rebooted the machine to get Origin back in order, added the "-nosound" flag to the Game Options and played for 3-4 hours without any issues. Hopefully, this is the end of the saga of me, fingers crossed. 

Message 14 of 39 (611 Views)

★ Novice

Any update on this? I'm having the same problem and it's very frustrating. The -nosound trick doesn't work. I also read somewhere that disconnecting from the internet while playing helps but it did not. On the other hand, my sim is trapped in an endless cycle of cuddling and kissing her baby so it's a cute glitch for the moment. 

Message 15 of 39 (595 Views)

@lothquendi

The OP in this thread had an additional problem to the crashing issue introduced in the November patch and fixed with the -nosound command. If that command doesn't work for you then please start your own thread detailing exactly what is going wrong in your game, full specs of your Mac, and what you have done to try and fix it.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 16 of 39 (575 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I am having some of the same issues at the original poster.  On Tuesday, my game worked as it should, but following the update, my game now has a lag when playing, freezes at times when I select an action for a Sim, although the clock keeps moving.  I have opened a game to have the children home, but their avatar at the control panel saying they are still at school and the clock is at 11:00 (so during the time they would be in school). The children continue going through actions, though they should not be there.  The clock jumps forward time and then will jump back in time once the lag catches up to it.  Just wanted to add my experience.  I also tried the no sound work around, tried playing out of full screen, and neither of these fixed the issue.

Message 17 of 39 (559 Views)

@cvarnadoe 

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 18 of 39 (552 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora below is my information.

macOS Big Sur

version 11.0.1

MacBook Pro (15 inch 2018)

2.2 GHz 6 Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 555X 4GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Message 19 of 39 (542 Views)

@cvarnadoe

Thanks. Have you tried repairing the game? And tried a new game folder? https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 20 of 39 (540 Views)