Game lagging

by oddrae

Original Post

Game lagging

★★★ Novice

Hi I installed sims4 earlier this year with a couple packs +downloaded some cc and it was running super clean.
I recently got the laundry pack and seasons and now gameplay is super laggy. Camera moment lags, sims glitch, commands are super slow.
Im playing on a MacBook Pro, Sierra 10.12.6 16g
2.4 GHz
4gb of memory
graphics: Intel hd graphics 3000 384 MB

i don’t really know much about the inner runnings of the game or computers so any help would be appreciated.
I also: removed all mods, repaired the game, and reinstalled the sims4 file per a forums advice and none of that helped

Message 1 of 4 (441 Views)

Re: Game lagging

@oddrae  I suspect that the you're running out of memory when playing.  TS4 is more forgiving of lower-end hardware than its predecessor, but it still places real demands on a system.  Seasons may be the most resource-intensive pack, at least so far.  You have only 4 GB RAM installed, and your OS takes up more than half of that.  (My computer still runs Sierra, and it uses 2.8 GB RAM just on startup, before I've opened any apps.)  A bit more than 1 GB RAM may not be enough to run Seasons, even though it was fine for earlier packs.

Custom content can certainly add to the game's loading time, but it doesn't usually add too much to overhead.  (Of course, outdated cc will cause all kinds of issues.)  Still, you might find that your game runs better with less of it.

Having said that, you might try a clean game folder, to see if that helps.  A reinstall wouldn't have automatically deleted the game folder where your saves and cc are stored, so it's worth building a new one.

Pull your existing TS4 folder out of Documents and onto your desktop, and a new one will spawn the next time you launch the game.  Start a new save in this folder and play for a bit, just to test things out.  If that save runs better than before, you can move some of your cc into the new folder from the old one and test it out.  If it still runs well, you can add back more cc, test again, etc. and then move your saves into the clean folder.  This can help clear out junk and overloaded cache files that tend to accumulate in your game folder, as well as any potential corruption.

If you can't play without lag even in a brand-new game folder, then unfortunately, you may be hitting the limit on your system.  There's not much else you can do to improve performance on this computer.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (432 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks so much for the response. 

I think I can update the RAM on my MacBook, would that help?

otherwise I could uninstall seasons I guess...it was running faster before I got that pack :/ 

Message 3 of 4 (376 Views)

@oddrae

For clarity, please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 4 of 4 (362 Views)