Game has glitchy lines across the whole screen

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Game has glitchy lines across the whole screen

[ Edited ]

Some users are reporting glitched lines across their entire game screen when playing since updating to the 1.58/November/Discover University patch. The screen looks like this:

49077662186_41bd10f8f8_w.jpg

(thanks to lilyinsimland for posting the image)

If you are experiencing this it would be really helpful to please post the specs of your Mac. Click on the Apple in the top menu bar then About This Mac and post the following information in this thread:

Specs.png

All of that information is really important, not just some of it. Don't post your serial number!

One possible workaround is to change the game from fullscreen to windowed mode. Click on the 3 dots in the top right corner of your game then Game Options > Graphics and change the Display Type from Fullscreen to Windowed. If you want your game to fill the screen, double click on the grey title bar (where it says The Sims 4 at the top of the game window).

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 18 of 70 (12,430 Views)

Visual glitch after free holiday update?

★★★ Newbie

Anyone know what could be causing this visual glitch? It started after the free holiday update, I was running the OS Mojave, but updated to OS Catalina to see if it would help. Just downloaded University, and it’s still happening...

Also, I have no CC or mods.

Message 1 of 70 (12,554 Views)

Sims 4, University. Glitchy lines in fullscreen mode

★★ Novice

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013).

High Sierra.

After downloading the Discover University there is glitchy lines all over the screen, starting the loading screen.

Changing into window mode cures it.

But what about fullscreen?

Message 2 of 70 (12,447 Views)

Huge Bug Report

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.58.63.1210
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats & Dogs, Get to Work, City living, Get famous, Seasons, Parenthood
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? N/a,
What happens when the bug occurs? the entire screen shows horizontal lines, particularly when the computer is having to render moving images, as opposed to still imaging. (see attached image)
What do you expect to see? a clear screen?
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

The attached image shows some of the distortions.

It doesn't go away and says around throughout the whole gameplay. 

I noticed it occurring the other day after I was clearing some cache on my laptop, although I'm sure that I didn't clear information from the sims game file. Anyway, I have tried to repair the game, to update it, I even uninstall the game and packs, and reinstalled the game.

Also, it is worth mentioning that I use a MacBook Pro, and it runs perfectly otherwise. I have run Sims 4 for many years, as well as other programs on my laptop and have never run into this problem. I have no clue why this might be happening, I am not sure what else to try. I have also tried adjusting the graphics settings within the game to the lowest res and it still occurs. 

if somebody could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 70 (12,522 Views)

Re: Huge Bug Report

Hero
@Manuel_DKAJR I merged your report with the Mac report on this.

Please read the thread to see if there's any workaround yet. I'm not on top of Mac issues.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 70 (12,493 Views)

Re: Lag after 6/18 Update

★ Novice

I updated the game 3 days ago and now have a major lag, no text ( in game play or CAS) after about 5 minutes of game play, static fuzz across the screen in CAS and freezes. It makes the game unplayable. I have no mods or CC, I'm running my mac on high sierra. I phoned EA and they say it's a known problem and they are working on a patch but any it seems the issue may have been going on a while for others. How long do patches take to develop?

Message 5 of 70 (12,516 Views)

Re: Lag after 6/18 Update

★★★★★ Guide

@buzzbuzztuz  I think it depends on the fix. Some patches have taken six months or more. I ended up switching to A Windows Laptop because after my research, I found that no matter how much I upgraded my Mac they are not designed for gaming. 

Message 6 of 70 (12,516 Views)

Re: Sims 4, University. Glitchy lines in fullscreen mode

★★ Guide
@Vetaforever I have no idea if this would have any impact, but what do you see if you leave TS4 in "windowed" mode but click the macOS "Full Screen" widget (the three bubbles on the top left of the window, the far right of the three - with the two triangle pointing away from each other). Does the glitching return? What about if you stay in Windowed mode and expand the window to consume all the screen real estate but NOT enter full screen mode (either via in-game or via macOS)?
Message 7 of 70 (12,403 Views)

Re: Glitchy lines across lower part of game screen

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

After the recent update, I’m experiencing the glitching screen as well, only it covers entire screen, staring from the time I open the game, instead of just the bottom. Whenever I try to play a saved household, the screen glitches up so badly that I can’t see anything. Never had this happen before. I’m using a MacBook Pro (mid 2015) with Catalina.

Message 8 of 70 (12,503 Views)

Re: Glitchy lines across lower part of game screen

★★ Guide
@AUBLESSIMS Hi! Does turning off Edge Smoothing in your game options improve things a bit?
Message 9 of 70 (12,506 Views)