Re: Game Progress Lost!

by mikeplopes

Original Post

Game Progress Lost!

★ Novice

Game progress lost. 340h of playtime completely gone. I have no access to anything. the only option is to begin a new one. not even my gallery has the stuff I've saved overtime. I have my cloud storage option turned on in Origin so how could this happen? How can I have my save back?

Message 1 of 8 (596 Views)

Champion (Retired)

The Sims 4 do not use Origin cloud storage.

Do you have a The Sims 4 folder on onedrive?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 8 (585 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

oh, okay. I had no idea of that.
No, the game's folder is just on my storage. But I've checked the saves and they're all there. for some reason the game acts like there's none.

And the weird thing is that even the lots and families I've saved in the Gallery aren't there. What could've happened? Everything was okay a week ago.

Thanks for the answer anyway!

Message 3 of 8 (576 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@mikeplopes  Did you just login to OneDrive because logging in to OneDrive activates it even though you don't use it. If so Windows will begin moving some files in your user documents folder to a different folder to be ready to sync and the game will not find these files. Microsoft really wants you to use OneDrive and nags you to login and really doesn't explain the consequences of doing that. If you don't need OneDrive just ignore the login nag, eventually it will stop nagging you to log in. If you do use OneDrive you can configure it not to sync the game files.

Message 4 of 8 (571 Views)

★ Novice

Oh, I'm sorry. But I just noticed I haven't mentioned that I play on a Mac, not on a PC. Does all of that about the Onedrive still applies? Because to play Sims all this time all I ever used was just Origin and nothing else.

Thanks for the help!

Message 5 of 8 (566 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@mikeplopes  OneDrive is a Windows application. There is a Sims mac forum that could probably help you better.

Message 6 of 8 (543 Views)

Champion

@mikeplopes , start up Origin, but not the game itself. Check your Origin Preferences and turn off the "Save to iCloud" feature as Sims 4 does not recognize anything saved to the Cloud. If you have recently reset Origin, it may have reset your preferences which includes this. Go to the Cloud and move a copy of your Sims 4 folder to your Desktop from there you can add back your saved games. 

Please report back here if this has solved your issue.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 7 of 8 (525 Views)

[ Edited ]

@mikeplopes

You don't need to worry about Origin settings, as @jpkarlsen has already stated, the Sims 4 does not save games to the cloud. What may have happened is that your Documents folder is now being stored in iCloud Drive, the Apple equivalent of OneDrive that @roberta591 is referring to.

Have you recently updated your operating system or enabled iCloud Drive? If so you need to change the settings so your Documents folder is NOT stored in the cloud but locally on your machine. This is where the game looks for your Sims 4 folder where your Saves/Tray files/CC, all user data is stored.

And just to confirm, there is absolutely NO link between iCloud and Origin cloud. None whatsoever. They are completely separate entities and should be treated as such.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 8 of 8 (512 Views)