Re: Installing Sims 4 and Packs onto USB?

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Accepted Solution

External Hard Drive for Mac to Play TS4 Recommendations?

★★★ Novice

Hi guys,

As I am running out of space on my 2018 MacBook Air and can no longer update my OS, I would like to re-install my Sims 4 game and data onto an external hard drive to make room on my Mac. I have been researching the topic of gaming off an external hard drive, where it is recommended to have a 5400rpm+ drive, with a minimum of 6gb cache for a smooth game. As I am playing on a Mac, with only USB-C (USB 3.1), I have been struggling to find a hard drive that fits this criteria. Can I play the Sims 4 off an external hard drive with USB 3.0, mac compatible, by using an additional connection piece to USB-C? Has anyone does this before? Or have a 1TB hard drive they can recommend for under $100? *I wouldn't need more than 1TB as I am only using the drive for Sims 4 & I know a USB Stick would not be able to handle it.

I'm not very tech-smart and I don't want to buy a cheap, poor quality hard drive. 

Please help!

Message 1 of 10 (850 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: External Hard Drive for Mac to Play TS4 Recommendations?

@erikaeves 

Can't you buy a USB-C drive? Something like this. A USB stick can handle it fine. It just needs to be minimum 128GB storage. You really don't need 1TB. The advantage of USB sticks is they are small and flash memory rather than spinning HD, like the 5400 you suggested.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 2 of 10 (782 Views)

All Replies

@erikaeves 

Can't you buy a USB-C drive? Something like this. A USB stick can handle it fine. It just needs to be minimum 128GB storage. You really don't need 1TB. The advantage of USB sticks is they are small and flash memory rather than spinning HD, like the 5400 you suggested.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 10 (783 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you for your suggestion!

Tbh I didn't think a USB-C Drive could handle the Sims 4. Have you tried it out before? Have you had any troubles with game lag? 

Message 3 of 10 (778 Views)

@erikaeves

Yep, it's great. Why didn't you think it could handle it? It's all about connection and drive type. USB-C/Thunderbolt is fast and solid state/flash is faster than spinning hard drives.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 10 (775 Views)

★★★ Novice

Fair point! I guess I just figured because of the size of the game, the software would be too much to run on a USB stick. However, since it's USB-C, it runs faster so that's good to know! I appreciate your help and am going to go pick up the USB tonight. How did you transfer all of your Sims files onto the disk? I've read some posts where they recommend uninstalling and re-installing the game and origin onto the disk. Is this what you did? 

Message 5 of 10 (773 Views)

@erikaeves 

Make sure Origin is closed then move the base game and Sims 4 Packs folder onto the external drive. You’ll then need to do this to change the file path in Origin and give it permission to access the external https://bluebellflora.com/2020/11/26/external-drive-not-showing-in-origin/

You can unplug the drive when you’re not playing but ALWAYS make sure Origin is closed first. When you plug it back in and load Origin it will always verify the game installation which may take a little while depending on how much DLC you have.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 10 (740 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you so much for your help!

Message 7 of 10 (725 Views)

Installing Sims 4 and Packs onto USB?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hello, 

In follow-up of my previous post, I have successfully transferred my Sims 4 data onto a USB stick and have re-routed Origin pathway to the USB as well. I am wondering if it would be possible to move my Sims 4 Packs folder and the Sims 4 game onto the USB (which are currently located in my applications folder)? 

If I were to completely save the Sims 4 onto the USB (application, data, packs, etc.), would it run properly? Would it update properly? I know that the game has system requirements. Or are these operating system specific? 

Sorry if this is confusing - I have lots of questions!

Thank you, 

Erika

Message 8 of 10 (753 Views)

★ Guide

I believe Origin has a Move Game option where you can move your install onto a different drive. However, save data by default will always save to where Windows or macOS is installed regardless of where The Sims 4 is installed but it is possible to use symbolic links to move it to a different drive.

Assuming your Mac has an SSD, longer loading times will be expected on a USB hard drive but the game should be playable. I am not sure about using a USB stick or flash drive but a USB 3.0 or USB-C flash drive could work. Installing games on a USB hard drive or SSD (if you have one) would be a good option.

Message 9 of 10 (674 Views)

@erikaeves

As already stated, the Sims 4 Packs folder MUST be moved along with the base game to the external.

For storing the Sims 4 folder containing saves etc. to an external - https://bluebellflora.com/saving-your-sims-4-folder-to-an-external-drive/

AHQSigImage.png
Message 10 of 10 (627 Views)