Expansion Pack Can't Be Installed Through Origin/Requires CD

by Miumiumanchuu

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Expansion Pack Can't Be Installed Through Origin/Requires CD

★ Novice

Hi there.

I recently changed my internal harddisk and I reinstalled Sims 3 through origin. I have my base game and one stuff pack (master suite) registered to origin. I registered another expansion pack (late night) and bought a new one via origin (generations). But somehow they need me to install these expansion packs to a folder containing the base game (just like the old ways) whereas there isn't any since the base game is already installed within origin.

So I let it be and tested whether or not the game works. The launcher appeared, but somehow it required me to insert the master suite CD. Although I own the CD anyway, I tried to avoid entering any CDs to my CD drive because it has been gradually broken and I wish to avoid this "playing with CD" thing anymore if it can be played through origin.

I've read that it could be done if you uninstall and reinstall origin, but I spent a day to download my whole Sims 4 game to my new harddisk which kind of a bugger if I had to go through it again.

Sooo...

1.) How do I make the expansion pack work without downloading the game to my computer? Or is this the common case, even if you already use origin.

2.) How do I play the Sims 3 without using the disk?

I use a 2011 15" macbook pro with El-Capitan OS (10.11.6)

Message 1 of 3 (1,144 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Expansion Pack Can't Be Installed Through Origin/Requires CD

@Miumiumanchuu

You have to install the base game and all EPs and SPs onto your Mac, Origin is a tool to deliver games, not play them through. For help on downloading and installing the digital downloads please see this stickied thread - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Mac-Disc-Authorisation-No-Disc-Errors/m-p/4882518#U4882518

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (1,393 Views)

All Replies

@Miumiumanchuu

You have to install the base game and all EPs and SPs onto your Mac, Origin is a tool to deliver games, not play them through. For help on downloading and installing the digital downloads please see this stickied thread - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Mac-Disc-Authorisation-No-Disc-Errors/m-p/4882518#U4882518

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 3 (1,394 Views)

★ Novice

@Bluebellflora

After relentless attempt on uninstalling and reinstalling, it finally works. I'm not sure what makes it work either -- I followed all suggestions and it was sort of a fail on my part but somehow it works in the end ^^;

Nonetheless, thank you so much for helping. The game also automatically install the patch you suggested to prevent the launcher from requesting CD.

Message 3 of 3 (1,111 Views)