Everything was fine and now..Unknown Error

by aesouth

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Everything was fine and now..Unknown Error

★★★ Newbie

Hello there,

I had just purchased digital downloads from origin yesterday, of the sims 3, nightlife and high-rise bundle as well as the sims 3 pets. After loading the pets expansion and the high-rise with the main program, everything seemed to work fine last night. I made a sim just to make sure it was working and then I left and proceeded to download the night life pack.

After the night life was complete I installed and tried to launch night life through origins, the download occurred successfully but then after that my game will no longer launch. "unknown Error occurred" and then nothing.

Now, of course I see online that lots of people are having this problem especially Mac high sierra, which I have,, and I'm seeing all kinds of trouble shooting possibilities, but I'm wondering if they could be narrowed down due to my specific issue? I don't want to just start trying them all willy nilly.

I'm also wondering this, I see a lot of people having issues happening with night life specifically and considering things stopped working once I downloaded it, would uninstalling that one fix the problem? or is there a specific route in which best fixes that issue?

I just purchased these yesterday looking to re-live my childhood haha, but I'm very sad that there was absolutely no info about the slew of issues on origin when I purchased them. If it is not possible for them to function, is there anyway I could be refunded or credited?

Message 1 of 2 (381 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Everything was fine and now..Unknown Error

[ Edited ]

@aesouth  You could uninstall the Nightlife/Late Night EP if you wanted, but the pack itself runs just fine, and the fix for your unknown error messages is not all that difficult.  When certain packs get installed (the others are Ambitions, Fast Lane, and Outdoor Living), certain files do not get copied to their proper destination.  You can do so manually by following the directions in the video embedded in the following post:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-3-Unknown-Error-in-El-Capitan-Sierra-High/...

If would also be a good idea to run the Super Patch (digital download version) if you haven't already.  Even if the launcher thinks the game is up to date, it might not be, and the Super Patch can't hurt.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

There are a few more fixes for a persistent unknown error message, but that really only occurs when a computer's processor and/or graphics card are incompatible with TS3.  Well, more incompatible than usual.  But if you've already launched and played the game successfully, I wouldn't think that you'd need any of these interventions.

One note, Bridgeport itself is not particularly well-built and has a number of issues that can glitch out a game being played there.  I would suggest settling your sims in another town and adding the buildings you want, or else reading up on the steps needed to fix the town and cleaning it up before you do anything else.  Again, the EP's features are fine, it's just a problem with how the world was built.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (384 Views)

All Replies

Re: Everything was fine and now..Unknown Error

[ Edited ]

@aesouth  You could uninstall the Nightlife/Late Night EP if you wanted, but the pack itself runs just fine, and the fix for your unknown error messages is not all that difficult.  When certain packs get installed (the others are Ambitions, Fast Lane, and Outdoor Living), certain files do not get copied to their proper destination.  You can do so manually by following the directions in the video embedded in the following post:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-3-Unknown-Error-in-El-Capitan-Sierra-High/...

If would also be a good idea to run the Super Patch (digital download version) if you haven't already.  Even if the launcher thinks the game is up to date, it might not be, and the Super Patch can't hurt.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

There are a few more fixes for a persistent unknown error message, but that really only occurs when a computer's processor and/or graphics card are incompatible with TS3.  Well, more incompatible than usual.  But if you've already launched and played the game successfully, I wouldn't think that you'd need any of these interventions.

One note, Bridgeport itself is not particularly well-built and has a number of issues that can glitch out a game being played there.  I would suggest settling your sims in another town and adding the buildings you want, or else reading up on the steps needed to fix the town and cleaning it up before you do anything else.  Again, the EP's features are fine, it's just a problem with how the world was built.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 2 (385 Views)