Re: Downloaded content freezing game

by suede631

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Downloaded content freezing game

★ Novice

I'm having issues with my game loading, it seems to be coming from installed content, but I don't know where it is installed from, and the Sims 3 Launcher freezes if i try to uninstall it. I uninstalled the game, and the Origin app and reinstalled, but that didn't help.I've tried speaking with tech support and we've tried troubleshooting, but there hasn't been any luck. Does anyone know of a way to remove the installed content so my game will load?

Message 1 of 4 (354 Views)

Accepted Solution

@suede631  There are two types of installed custom content.  One comes in .package form and is installed the same way as mods.  The other is installed through the launcher and is bundled into .dbc files in DCCache, inside Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  If the launcher is crashing, the .dbc files are likely at fault, and you can technically just remove them to get rid of all your launcher-installed custom content.

The .ebc files in DCCache are installed store content and are probably fine, although you can remove those temporarily as well if you want to confirm.

If you'd like to keep some or most of your cc, you can try examining the .dbc files one at a time.  Even if one of the files consistently crashes the launcher, the others could still be usable.  Method by Mell, described on this page, is the best approach:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (344 Views)

All Replies

@suede631  There are two types of installed custom content.  One comes in .package form and is installed the same way as mods.  The other is installed through the launcher and is bundled into .dbc files in DCCache, inside Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  If the launcher is crashing, the .dbc files are likely at fault, and you can technically just remove them to get rid of all your launcher-installed custom content.

The .ebc files in DCCache are installed store content and are probably fine, although you can remove those temporarily as well if you want to confirm.

If you'd like to keep some or most of your cc, you can try examining the .dbc files one at a time.  Even if one of the files consistently crashes the launcher, the others could still be usable.  Method by Mell, described on this page, is the best approach:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-how-to-get-rid-of-unwanted-custom-content.html

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (345 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you! Took a bit of searching around to find the DCCache folder, but deleting the all the content seems to have fixed the issue!

Message 3 of 4 (332 Views)

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thanks, this helped!
Message 4 of 4 (323 Views)