Does Sims 3 work on macOS High Sierra?

by jamiesmile321

Original Post

Does Sims 3 work on macOS High Sierra?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Hi, I've been trying to play Sims 3 on an iMac with High Sierra for a few months. Before I can even open the launcher it tells me an Unknown Error Occurred, which I'm assuming relates to the compatibility. The only other computer that I've been able to play the game on properly has been a MacBook Air, but that doesn't have enough space, so I'd prefer to play on the iMac. I called EA help a few weeks ago, and they investigated every possible error with me for over an hour. They then said that they would take the issue to the development team, and it would be done within a few days. Still waiting, unable to play the game on the iMac, and I'm unable to reopen the case. I'm sick of this. Can anyone help?

Message 1 of 31 (2,279 Views)

Re: Does Sims 3 work on macOS High Sierra?

[ Edited ]

@jamiesmile321

I've created a new thread for you as the thread you posted in is about Sims 3 and Sims 4 performing in macOS in general Standard smile

Please can you follow this 5-step guide on how to successfully play Sims 3 in macOS - https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/749...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 31 (2,268 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thank you @Bluebellflora I will try the solutions and let you know if it's still not working

Message 3 of 31 (2,244 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hey @Bluebellflora, I had a question. I found the error I have on your website, the Unknown Error Message for just the base game. I checked on the page to see if my graphics card/chip is supported, but the list of affected macs didn't include any later than 2015. I have an iMac 18.3 that my family got in 2017. I don't know if it's affected, but could you let me know?

Message 4 of 31 (2,240 Views)

@jamiesmile321

I am totally reliant on users giving me their Mac info for the graphics fix (unfortunately I don't own every single Mac ever produced Wink ) so not every model is listed.

I believe you have an AMD GPU in your Mac which isn't as problematic as the integrated Intel ones. However, you can provide the info I ask for in my post here and we can test the lines to add to the sgr files.

Have you patched the game to 1.67? Have you ever tried to install the game before on that Mac?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 31 (2,231 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora

Ok, so for the information do you just need the Mac model and ID? The model is macOS High Sierra, Version 10.13.4, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4096 MB. Is this all the information you need? I used your patch to update the game, but I still get the Unknown Error message. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game several times. Is there anything else you need to know?

Message 6 of 31 (2,221 Views)

[ Edited ]

@jamiesmile321

No, if you read the article I state the exact information I need. Please leave a comment there with the information when you have it as it will all be in one place. It is a little irrelevant in this thread. We can carry on troubleshooting here though once we have the graphics sorted Standard smile

You also need to make sure you are uninstalling properly by deleting the hidden library files.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 31 (2,216 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora

Hi, sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I've been really busy with school. I read through the article again, and I couldn't figure out exactly what information to give. There was a mention to take note of the Vendor Details and Device ID, but I'm not sure if that's the information you wanted. I'm really sorry to be such a pain, but could you just tell me what information I need to comment? I will comment it on your site as soon as I know what information to give you!

Message 8 of 31 (2,143 Views)

@jamiesmile321

Point 2, the Device ID - https://bluebellflora.com/2018/07/24/sims-3-mac-players-i-need-your-help/#Information

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 31 (2,138 Views)

★ Guide

Hi Bluebellflora, I wasn't sure where to get in contact to you, so I apologize if this isn't right. If not, just let me know where to ask questions. 

But I wanted to see if I could get your help with my mac. I remember a few months ago I was asking for mac help on EA and was hoping they'd help users like me out. Sadly they didn't and kind of just left me hanging, telling me to post on answers and I didn't get a thing. So I kind of gave us playing sims 3 on mac again. However, I came by you and say about a month or so ago, you may have come up with a solution to get it working. However, I have a high sierra mac, my specs being these. 

macOS High Sierra 

Version 10.13.1

Mac Book Pro (Retina, 15-inch, mid 2015)

processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

What I wanted to know is, is it possible for me to play and have people with these specs been able to? I ask cause I read some comments but they never confirmed whether it worked or not. 

Message 10 of 31 (2,121 Views)