Re: Does Sims 3 work on macOS High Sierra?

by Tremayne4260

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Does Sims 3 work on macOS High Sierra?

★★★ Newbie

Is Sims 3 supported on macOS High Sierra yet? Can I update my Mac?

Message 1 of 7 (31,300 Views)

Accepted Solution

@GuineaPunk

Please read the Sims 3 Mac help thread as the game is no longer supported and hasn't been updated since January 2014 - https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/749...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 5 of 7 (32,481 Views)

All Replies

@Lilit961

Sims 3 isn't technically supported on any versions of macOS after 10.9 Mavericks as it hasn't had an update since January 2014. Are you currently running it in Sierra?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 7 (31,118 Views)

★ Novice

Hi there,

I too experience a issue when launching Sims 3 from within the Origin launcher application.

I was playing around with the actual Sims 3 application on my external hard drive from my backup before upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra.. anyhow long story short, I managed to open the Sims 3 launcher via the Sims 3 application, and it stated there was a patch available, and after patching the Sims 3 the game works, opens and plays on High Sierra.

Here is a url for the patch - https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/ - there are few versions depending on where you live, and if you Sims 3 game was disc or digital based. The patch version I ended up with is 1.67.2.024017 being digital for my game.

It will require a extractor application which are available on the apple app store for free. The webpage url I have mentioned has detailed instructions and links to the files, so see what happens. Also if it does work, make sure you make a copy of the patch file for future use and just in case.

I don't think it's a new patch, more of a super patch - but this worked for me. So short answer, yes Sims 3 works with High Sierra - just a rather muddly and picky application which needs patching and some jolly patience to do so.

After you have done the patching as stated above, login to Origin, and start/play sims 3 to launch.

Let me know how it goes. If it doesn't work, I really do apologise, but happy to keep helping. But this is from my experience only, and worked for me getting Sims 3 to work on High Sierra Mac OS.

Cheers,

Rebekah.

Message 3 of 7 (31,071 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have downloaded and installed the patch, however my game still isn't working. Been onto EA technical support several times, and nothing they have suggested has worked either (I suspect that some of the stuff they've had me do may have made the situation worse). Can anybody shed some light? I'm on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2

Message 4 of 7 (29,065 Views)

@GuineaPunk

Please read the Sims 3 Mac help thread as the game is no longer supported and hasn't been updated since January 2014 - https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/749...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 7 (32,482 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

It works for me, I had trouble at first but I followed these instructions: 

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/ 

I then re-installed the base game and all ep's & sp's in order of when they came out, some were from disk and some digital downloads off origin. I did NOT do any game updates to the base game or any other ep's or sp's. I updated everything before and it didn't work just said "Unable to start game service initialization failed 0x0175dcbb". So far working fine. 

Computer I'm using:

13-Inch Macbook Pro with Retina Display

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

Software: macOS High Sierra, Version 10.13.6

Dated posted: August 31st, 2018

Message 6 of 7 (23,202 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

You don't have to reinstall the game and it works fine on High Sierra. I play it regularly and it runs great.

However, newer Macs have a hard time running Sims 3 on the Mac side, so here are some guides to help you get the game going. Please note that MacBook Airs have a lot of trouble running this game and trying to play with Seasons and Pets is almost impossible. 

Here are the steps to take to install the game properly along with many Troubleshooting solutions.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/749...

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

Message 7 of 7 (23,183 Views)