Re: Crashing after Cottage Living Update

by QuaylinSims

Original Post

@QuaylinSims

How much memory was used? Remember that the OS needs RAM, a lot of it, and if it's running low it will struggle to run anything else well. If Chrome then used a 1GB that's leaving barely anything for any other apps, let alone one as resource heavy as the game.

The workaround for you is to play in the new user account you created. I really believe, from the troubleshooting we have done, that the issue is your Mac struggling to run an intensive game and the main problem is memory.

With low spec. machines there is only so much you can keep adding to resource heavy apps like Sims 4 before it starts to buckle. This is why the Legacy Edition of the game was introduced, because the game is advancing, requiring more power and resources, and older tech. simply could not have kept up. Eventually that will happen to all our Macs Frown

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 21 of 25 (518 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@BluebellfloraIt went to 3GB total (leaving plenty) before it crashed. The OS takes up less than 2GB.

Message 22 of 25 (513 Views)

@QuaylinSims

1GB RAM is not plenty, it's barely anything. It's stripping resources from other areas and not caching data in an attempt to keep some memory free so the Mac doesn't freeze.

Just play in the other account that isn't running so many processes using RAM and make sure not to have anything else open while you play.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 23 of 25 (504 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora Just letting you know I finally found a solution that works and isn't a headache: the new Sims 4 folder. It had nothing to do with my RAM, though I do understand my computer is getting old.
Message 24 of 25 (375 Views)

@QuaylinSims

So long as you're back in your game again, that's great Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 25 of 25 (372 Views)