Re: Crashing after Cottage Living Update

by QuaylinSims

Original Post

★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora

The game does seem to work after I start clean, I would assume it's an issue with one of my mods? My problem is that once my game crashes, It continues to crash and not go past the first loading screen until I take out my whole Sims 4 folder and repair the game. I noticed that it still crashes even if I remove just the mods folder which has never happened before.

And yes, I have the Macbook Air 2020 with the M1 chip.
Message 11 of 25 (647 Views)

@shamrockshake05

Yeah, definitely a Mod issue. You need to move them all out and then back in in batches, testing after adding each batch until it breaks again. There was another update today so maybe some Mods broke again.

Have you seen this thread for users with M1 Macs? https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/-WORKAROUND-game-Mac-freezes-on-Mac-with-M1-chip/m-p/... make sure you have vsync enabled.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 12 of 25 (641 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I was able to play on the new account, at least through CAS and a few minutes after, but when I went to try on the main (admin) account, it crashed again. 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><report><version>2</version><sessionid>df930e21925ca53c61006b12</sessionid><type>crash</type><sku>ea.maxis.sims4.15.mac</sku><createtime>2021-07-27 20:23:01</createtime><buildsignature>Local.Unknown.Unknown.1.77.146.1230-1.200.000.521.Release</buildsignature><systemconfig></systemconfig><categoryid> 0x1029</categoryid><stack> 0x1029 0xdf66b9 0xf5edef 0x1f66ce 0x68fc 0x2443</stack><threads></threads><screenshot></screenshot><memdump></memdump><contextdata>Client Session Time: 19.04<br />Num Save Errors: 0<br />Num Load Errors: 0<br />Current Game State: 0x96d01090<br />Origin Version: 10,5,102,48654<br />Modded: False<br />SystemInfo: Mac OS X Version 10.16 (Build 20G80) GPU: Intel HD Graphics 6000 macOS Metal driver 0.0.0.0<br />(baseaddr) 0x7fff20576000,'libsystem_platform.dylib' 0x1036e3000,'The Sims 4' 0x1036e3000,'The Sims 4' 0x1036e3000,'The Sims 4' 0x7fff2052e000,'libsystem_pthread.dylib' 0x7fff2052e000,'libsystem_pthread.dylib'(/baseaddr)</contextdata></report>

Message 13 of 25 (633 Views)

@QuaylinSims

Great Standard smile That would indicate something is running in your normal account, either a background app or a process, that may be causing the crash. Can you remember installing anything before the crashing started, apart from updating the game?

Also, which specific model Mac do you have? Year, model and CPU.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 14 of 25 (626 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@BluebellfloraI didn't install anything new between when I last played and started troubleshooting (obvs I did the Origin reset and all the troubleshooting stuff). The only apps I have running are Chrome (which I've always have open) and Sims 4, plus the ever-present Origin client. I 

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 11.09.20 AM.png

Message 15 of 25 (621 Views)

@QuaylinSims

Thanks. I wonder if you're having a memory crash. 4GB RAM is low. Chrome is a horrible resource hog so you should definitely have that fully closed when playing. This would also explain why it works in the new account, because you won't be running as many processes as in your usual user account and it's relatively clean and clutter free.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 16 of 25 (618 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora True, but I've definitely had worse Chrome luck. I closed it, and it still crashed right after that first screen.
Message 17 of 25 (611 Views)

@QuaylinSims

Yeah but did you then open Activity Monitor and close any residual processes? It would also be worth checking the memory usage in Activity Monitor too https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/activity-monitor/welcome/mac and this for specific RAM usage https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/activity-monitor/actmntr1004/mac

AHQSigImage.png
Message 18 of 25 (606 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora I wish I could understand the Activity Monitor better, but I had definitely closed Chrome completely. The usage went down by a little less than 1GB.
Message 19 of 25 (583 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora I also kept the activity monitor open while trying to run TS4, and it didn't max out or even come close before it crashed again. :/
Message 20 of 25 (575 Views)