Conflicting with expansion pack

by AMMSimmer

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Conflicting with expansion pack

★★★★★ Novice

Hello,

I have tried installing the new 64-bit release of the Sims 3 on my Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6 and this pop-up comes up when I try to press play. Because I ordered the version that came with Late Night and High End loft those are also installed, but I haven't installed any of the packs I have. I've made sure the game is updated I'm not having this issue on my MacBook (which is running Big Sur which is probably why); I wanted to try on this computer though because of the issues I'm having on my Mac (some bad graphics even though I have a very up to date graphics card). I didn't want to have to deal with the fix for the 32 bit version of having to move one of the stuff packs around into different folders, but I will do that if I have to if it's because this Mac can't run this version.

Message 1 of 11 (623 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Conflicting with expansion pack

@AMMSimmer  Your Mac doesn't support Metal and therefore can't run the 64-bit version of Sims 3.  High Sierra is also required but is not sufficient.

You should be able to run the old 32-bit version though, provided you apply a couple of workarounds for certain packs.  Let me know if you'd like help with this process.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 10 of 11 (518 Views)

All Replies

@AMMSimmer  The message is due to an old Version.tag file from a 32-bit install.  Just delete the file; it's in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.

Message 2 of 11 (592 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thank you so much! I removed the only one I could find but now the game won’t open when I click play on the sims 3 launcher. I’ve restarted my computer to see if that helps and I’m reinstalling the game currently!

Message 3 of 11 (580 Views)

@AMMSimmer  If the reinstall doesn't help, try moving the entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents > Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  A new folder will spawn when you open the launcher.  You can add your old content to it later; the important thing now is to get the game working.

Message 4 of 11 (577 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

So i deleted the file and reinstalled the base game and the two packs that came with it and it just shuts down immediately with no error code :/ I’m going to try the fix about moving the whole folder out!

Message 5 of 11 (574 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Okay I’ll try this!

Message 6 of 11 (569 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I moved the folder out and it still doesn’t open, and has no error code Frown

Message 7 of 11 (566 Views)

@AMMSimmer  Please post the full specs of your Mac: click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen, select About This Mac, and list everything except for the serial number.  Or you can take a screenshot and attach it to a post; crop or black out the serial number.

Message 8 of 11 (545 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011)

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 12GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Running macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6

Message 9 of 11 (524 Views)

@AMMSimmer  Your Mac doesn't support Metal and therefore can't run the 64-bit version of Sims 3.  High Sierra is also required but is not sufficient.

You should be able to run the old 32-bit version though, provided you apply a couple of workarounds for certain packs.  Let me know if you'd like help with this process.

Message 10 of 11 (519 Views)