❗️ [WORKAROUND] game/Mac freezes on Mac with M1 chip

by silverstream896

Original Post

Accepted Solution

❗️ [WORKAROUND] game/Mac freezes on Mac with M1 chip

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Apple just released their new M1 Apple Silicon chip. Will we be able to play the Sims 4 on this new processor? Maybe I don't know that much about computers, but will this affect game play? My laptop is so old and I desperately need a new one, but they're discontinuing the Intel processor.

(edited title to better reflect the issue reported in this thread and the solution - Bluebellflora)

Message 1 of 694 (56,348 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Compatible with Apple M1 Chip?

[ Edited ]
EA Staff

Updated for clarity:

Go to the game Options and check the setting for "Vertical Sync". If it is off, please turn it on. You may need to be somewhat fast to do this before the video freezes.

If your video freezes before you are able to make the configuration change then you might restore it by unplugging the video cable, then plugging it back in (if your device has a video cable).

If you have enabled "Allow remote access" in your macOS preferences then you should be able to use another device to remotely connect to this device to complete the options change (you can use any device that supports VNC to connect to your macOS computer if "Allow remote access" has been enabled).

You can also set Vertical Sync manually by editing the Options.ini file located in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/ . Open the file with TextEdit and find the "verticalsync = " option. If it is there already, change the "0" to "1". If it is not there already, add "verticalsync = 1" to the bottom of the file. Save the changes, then launch The Sims 4.

Please let us know if you have problems.

--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.

View in thread

Message 38 of 694 (66,893 Views)

All Replies

@silverstream896

Hopefully we will still be able to play because of Rosetta 2 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software)#Rosetta_2

Until someone tries though we won't know for sure.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 694 (56,212 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I would also like to know this! It sounds like it would but I'm not sure. I've already purchase my new apple computer and I hoping I don't have to way years for EA to get sims 4 running on it. 

Message 3 of 694 (56,098 Views)

★★★★ Novice

When you get your new apple computer can you try it and then tell us if it works? :D 

Message 4 of 694 (55,875 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@coxda1990 Please do post about your experience and tag the gurus and “game changers” so the masses can find it! I’m very interested in getting the new MBA.
Message 5 of 694 (55,217 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yes please tell us if it works!

Message 6 of 694 (54,784 Views)

★★ Novice

I've got the the M1 macbook air today and thought id have a go on simcity although when trying to download the origin client is says they dont support the operating system and to download the old version, after doing this the Big Sur says it cant run 32-bit applications!

Message 7 of 694 (54,683 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@PsyBeesley You can try this 

This post had good feedback in that thread. It might help you download a compatible Origin client.

Message 8 of 694 (54,663 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I think I’ll be receiving my new MacBook Pro tomorrow. I’ll keep you posted. 

Message 9 of 694 (54,610 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I just got the MacBook Pro with M1, sims 4 keeps crashing for some reason. 

Message 10 of 694 (54,597 Views)