Re: Compatible with Apple M1 Chip?

by MaxisJoe

Original Post

Re: MacBook late

@nattyman1991

I've merged your post into this one where we have a discussion going over the new ARM Macs. As they are still very new it's good to help each other out here until more people have experience of the game with the new chips Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 31 of 700 (13,990 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Nice one thanks. I was so excited to get my new Mac and play the game. Installed and within 2 minutes it crashed and wouldn't work haha.

Message 32 of 700 (13,988 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I hope there is a solution because I’m planning to buy mine on Friday, I really don’t want to buy a windows laptop and for everything else I need MacBook Pro m1 is perfect. 

Message 33 of 700 (13,988 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah. Tbh idk when the Sims team is gonna do anything ab it so looks like I gotta give up The Sims for a while. Frown

Message 34 of 700 (13,928 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have spoken to 2 different people at Origin who have gone through general troubleshooting steps with me to try and get it working. I contacted Mac support who also tried. They said could be a compatibility issue with the game and the new M1 chip. 

Tried booting in safe mode on the MacBook Pro 13 which made no difference. Tried uninstalling and manually deleting all Origin files etc which solved nothing either. Tried only installing the base game without expansions but didn't help. Tried in offline mode. Sound is jittery too. Then just freezes a minute or two into the game whilst you're creating the sim.

Message 35 of 700 (13,923 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I got my new Mac mini M1 yesterday. Sims 4 runs fine. I increased the graphics quality to Ultra and it's still really smooth. My old (2018) Mac Mini definitely can't do that.

The game does freeze very often, but I'm not sure that's related to the new computer. The screen stops updating completely. I can hear sounds playing, so it's clearly still running. I can work around it by unplugging and reinserting the HDMI cable. That triggers something and unfreezes everything... for a few minutes until it freezes again.

Message 36 of 700 (13,916 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm praying they make this game compatible for M1 bc I'm super sad I can't play on this computer.

Message 37 of 700 (13,867 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA Staff

Updated for clarity:

Go to the game Options and check the setting for "Vertical Sync". If it is off, please turn it on. You may need to be somewhat fast to do this before the video freezes.

If your video freezes before you are able to make the configuration change then you might restore it by unplugging the video cable, then plugging it back in (if your device has a video cable).

If you have enabled "Allow remote access" in your macOS preferences then you should be able to use another device to remotely connect to this device to complete the options change (you can use any device that supports VNC to connect to your macOS computer if "Allow remote access" has been enabled).

You can also set Vertical Sync manually by editing the Options.ini file located in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/ . Open the file with TextEdit and find the "verticalsync = " option. If it is there already, change the "0" to "1". If it is not there already, add "verticalsync = 1" to the bottom of the file. Save the changes, then launch The Sims 4.

Please let us know if you have problems.

--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 38 of 700 (67,394 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@MaxisJoe I'm gonna try that out.

Message 39 of 700 (13,843 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA Staff

@simplyluke__ Are you experiencing the same symptoms as @tomaseriklinus ?

--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 40 of 700 (13,837 Views)