Climbing Wall Crashes Game

by leverettken

Original Post

Vertical Challenge Rock Wall causes crash

★ Guide

Every time my sims interact with the Vertical Challenge Rock Wall the game crashes.

Message 1 of 16 (881 Views)

Re: Vertical Challenge Rock Wall causes crash

@MrsKnitterknack  Try uninstalling the rock wall through the launcher and reinstalling it.  Delete the five cache files in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 as well:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package
——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 16 (869 Views)

Re: Vertical Challenge Rock Wall causes crash

★ Guide

Thank you for responding! I followed these steps, but unfortunately after taking them the lot that had a rock wall on it would cause the game to crash, without attempting to use the rock wall at all. I completely deleted the lot, then took all these steps again, then built a rock wall on a blank lot, but after completing all those steps the rock wall still causes the game to crash when a sim attempts to use it. Both played and unplayed sims will cause a crash.

Message 3 of 16 (861 Views)

Climbing Wall Crashes Game

★★★★ Novice

I purchased the climbing wall for my game a little while ago, but every time I try to have my sim climb it, it lets them go to it and change into their clothes then the game crashes. Super annoying since I paid for it. I've tried clearing my caches and everything, it still quits every time!

Message 4 of 16 (1,264 Views)

Re: Climbing Wall Crashes Game

@leverettken  Please test the climbing wall in a new save.  You don't have to spend much time on it; just load Sunset Valley, pick one of the rich households to play with, plunk down a climbing wall or two, and see whether the sims can use them.  If it still doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling the wall in the launcher.

If the wall works in the new save, the issue is likely something in your current save.  It's worth testing with another sim, just in case your main sim is the problem; you don't need to save your progress afterwards.  You can also try selling and rebuying the wall, or placing it somewhere else on the lot, preferably somewhere open with no other objects around.

Message 5 of 16 (1,251 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thanks for your quick reply! I tried in a new game first and it still quit, then uninstalled and redownloaded it and tried in a new game again, and no luck!

Message 6 of 16 (1,225 Views)

@leverettken  Please move your entire Sims 3 folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  When you open the launcher, a clean folder will spawn with no content.  (Your saves and other content will be intact in the folder you've moved but temporarily not read by the game.)  Don't add any of your existing content to the new folder; just download a fresh copy of the climbing wall, install it, and let me know whether it works in a new save.

If it doesn't, I'll try messing around with it myself.  I own the wall but haven't installed it, but I can experiment a bit.  Please also let me know what kind of install you have: Windows and Origin/disc/Steam, or macOS 32-bit or 64-bit.

Message 7 of 16 (1,216 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Ok tried that too, and it still quit! The climbing wall file might be corrupted?
Message 8 of 16 (1,192 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Also I have 64-bit (through Origin), and I'm playing on macOS!
Message 9 of 16 (1,188 Views)

@leverettken  Interesting.  Try adding the store patches, which may or may not be a part of the 64-bit version's program files.  They certainly don't get downloaded anymore though.  Instructions are here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16341942/#Comment_16341942

Message 10 of 16 (1,168 Views)