by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Change Sims 4 Save Location on Mac

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hello everyone,

I googled endlessly.

My issue is: the save file location for Sims 4 on my mac is in the documents folder and this is synced to icloud. But I don't want that because it uses space in the icloud. I would like to set, where the saves are stored (locally). I can change the install directory so I should be able to change the save location. I thought this is pretty standard nowadays.

Anyways, some more remarks:

- I want to sync the documents folder to icloud. I use this function. I just do not want the sims save files to be in there.

- adding a .nosync to the "Electronics Art" folder does not work because then the game doesn't recognize the location and creates a new folder.

With all saves, mods, CC I have like 4-5 GB. Also I do not want to use up paid storage space for this.

At the moment I am rather infuriated, because this is not an issue in the vast majority of windows steam games (other PC) and Origin here is incredibly NOT user-friendly. (sorry, need to vent, this really should NOT be an issue, to have a setting where the bloody files are stored). And yes, apple is partly guilty for not just adding a little checkmark to folders, where I can select whether to sync or not (again - renaming doesn't work when apps are looking for it).

Any help or input is appreciated!

PS alternatively, I disable the icloud sync for playing, move in the saves from a different location, play, move them away, activated syncing. that means moving 4-5 GB every time...it works but is really, really annoying.

Message 1 of 9 (7,839 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Change Sims 4 Save Location on Mac

@nep_deByrd

Create a symlink to a different location. These instructions are to an external drive but could be adapted - https://bluebellflora.com/saving-your-sims-4-folder-to-an-external-drive/

You cannot simply just choose where to store the user data for the game because it will always look in Documents > Electronic Arts for a Sims 4 folder. If there isn't one there it will just create a new one.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (7,819 Views)

All Replies

@nep_deByrd

Create a symlink to a different location. These instructions are to an external drive but could be adapted - https://bluebellflora.com/saving-your-sims-4-folder-to-an-external-drive/

You cannot simply just choose where to store the user data for the game because it will always look in Documents > Electronic Arts for a Sims 4 folder. If there isn't one there it will just create a new one.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 9 (7,820 Views)

★ Novice

@Bluebellflora Thank you so much, I think this could work. I will try it out soon.

Message 3 of 9 (7,811 Views)

★ Novice

Did this work for you? Its a few years later and it seems the original issue is still not resolved.

Message 4 of 9 (4,400 Views)

@AnnaBusby

What issue are you having?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 5 of 9 (4,395 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Bluebellflora Hi, i understand that this post is from a couple years ago but i am having the same problem as the original user. I do not want to pay for more iCloud storage just because Sims 4 is taking up so much.
I looked at the link you attached and i was wondering if there is any other way to change the location without having to store The sims 4 in an external drive or in iCloud?
Thank you.
Message 6 of 9 (4,246 Views)

@carowave1

No unfortunately not if your internal storage is getting full. You can create the symlink for any location though, it’s just a matter of getting the file path correct.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 7 of 9 (4,233 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having the same problem as the original poster. I tried following the Windows instructions and it said there was a syntax error. Any ideas? 

Message 8 of 9 (3,954 Views)

@sunnygrl83

This is the Mac forum. Windows forum is here https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/The-Sims-4

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 9 (3,941 Views)