Cant play sims4 on a Mac if you own it through steam

by BingoBobo

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Cant play sims4 on a Mac if you own it through steam

★★ Novice

I've purchased ALL of the Sims 4 content through Steam. But I want to play from my MacBook Pro while I'm away from home. When I log into my Origin account on my MacBook it won't let me download Sims even though it says i own it. 

So I figured there must be a Mac version that I need to purchase. So I went hunting for that version in the Origin store.

Chose to Purchase a different edition

My only choice is to purchase it as a gift, because I must own the only version there is.

So is there a Mac version that's different from the Steam version?

If YES, where is it? why can't I buy it? from my Mac? 

If No, Why can't I install the steam version onto my Mac.

Out of frustration I made a second Origin account. And purchased the Digital Deluxe Edition with out a problem and installed it on my Mac.

Yes I've played 30 hours with out the sweet sweet DLC. Funny how now that it's installed, if I log back into my other account it still shows as uninstalled.

And lastly I thought I'd try to gift it too my first account but guess what...

Message 1 of 199 (34,733 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Cant play sims4 on a Mac if you own it through steam

[ Edited ]

@BingoBobo

There is no Mac version of the game in Steam. Mac users can only play using Origin.

To play on a Mac, either unlink your Origin and Steam account and purchase DLC or create a new EA account, download the Sims 4 base game, which is now free, and purchase DLC for Origin.

(Edited with updated info)

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -

View in thread

Message 2 of 199 (34,703 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@BingoBobo

There is no Mac version of the game in Steam. Mac users can only play using Origin.

To play on a Mac, either unlink your Origin and Steam account and purchase DLC or create a new EA account, download the Sims 4 base game, which is now free, and purchase DLC for Origin.

(Edited with updated info)

AHQSigImage.png
Message 2 of 199 (34,704 Views)

★★ Novice

It was so hard to click that "Accept as Solution" button. I don't want to accept it... but deep down I know you're right. I think in someways I always knew, it just took someone else to say it. 

Message 3 of 199 (34,693 Views)

@BingoBobo

Aww yeah, I understand Frown

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 199 (34,684 Views)

★★ Novice

For posterity and future readers.

This is my interpretation of the answer and may not actually be true, but it helps me wrap my brain around it.

The Sims base game is one product with two "licenses".

The first "license" allows you to play the game on both PC and Mac.

The second "license" allows you to only play the game on PC, and only if authorized by Steam.

If you purchase the product through Origin you get the first "license".

If you purchase the product through Steam you get the second "license".

A single Origin account can only own one copy of the product. So once you've purchased one of the "licenses" you cannot purchase the other one.

(And let's just not talk about the CD)

Message 5 of 199 (34,667 Views)

@BingoBobo

Yes you are absolutely correct about Origin but not sure about the last bit - “So once you've purchased one of the "licenses" you cannot purchase the other one” hopefully @puzzlezaddict will be able to help there.

There is no CD version for Mac, it’s Windows only, but Mac users can still buy it and redeem the code for a Mac digital version in Origin.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 6 of 199 (34,659 Views)

@BingoBobo  I would put things a bit differently.  The important point here is that if you own Sims 4 through Steam, you still need to install through Steam, not Origin.  And Steam only supports installing into Windows.  So it's not that players receive a Steam "license" that only works in Windows, it's that Steam itself will only install Sims 4 into Windows, and Origin won't install the game if you own it through Steam.

Origin generally does not allow players to buy a second copy of content they already own.  This particular scenario is sort of an edge case that the features designers probably didn't anticipate.  There are ways around it, but that's kind of beside the point, and even so, you'd still be in the same position of not being able to install your Steam-owned packs either.

If you're interested though, you could always buy a product key from an authorized third-party seller like Amazon or Best Buy and register it to your account.  From the (many) complaints I've seen, nothing stops people from registering multiple identical copies of a game to one Origin account.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 7 of 199 (34,650 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

There are very, very, few Mac games on Steam (in fact, there were so few, that the Mac Steam app is now legacy). Here’s a thought: if you’ve enough space on your MacBook Pro, either install Windows via Boot Camp or, as I prefer to do use Parallels (I prefer the latter because you can move files and text from MacOS to Windows). When I still played TS3, I did so using Windows 10 via Parallels and I don’t recall ever having a problem (bought most of those via Steam).

This is why I prefer Macs to PCs; an-off-the-shelf Mac can run Windows and Linux (which I also use occasionally), but an off-the-shell PC can’t run MacOS. I’ve been using Macs since the early ‘90s and I was really resistant to the change from PPC to Intel at first because I thought Intel took something away from it, and now it was just a different kind of PC (I mean, Macs are PCs). 

The one thing I do have a problem with is iCloud, I don’t like the ‘delete from one device and it’s gone everywhere’, it catches many people out (it did my parents). People don’t understand that when they delete photos from their iPad/iPhone, if it’s connected to iCloud, they’re also deleting those photos from their Macs. I don’t understand why, after 15 versions of iOS and probably a similar number of MacOS, Apple hasn’t made iCloud either/or and offered the option of keeping photos and files on other devices and only deleting them from the one you don’t need them on (and if you did decide you wanted a specific file back on your iPad or Mac, having the option to only copy the file you needed back across). Sometimes, you don’t want or need it to ‘just work’. iCloud isn’t true cloud storage (as many people believe it to be). 

Okay, enough of my ramblings (I don’t want to get my knuckles rapped for taking this off-topic).

Message 8 of 199 (34,503 Views)

For the benefit of others reading this, Macs with M1 chips cannot currently be Boot Camped.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 9 of 199 (34,494 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I want to know if there totally no other way to play the sims 4 on mac pro other than buying it again through origin because I bought the game and DLC from steam, and I have a mac pro M1 

Message 10 of 199 (27,823 Views)