Can't transfer Sims 4 files

by Tianna10196

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't transfer Sims 4 files

★★★ Newbie

So for the last few hours I've been trying to transfer my saved games from an old computer to a new one, and I downloaded Origin on both computers, and started a new game. Then I transferred my old save files onto dropbox and used the Terminal feature on Mac to create a symbolic link between the two. I'm not sure if it worked but all I know is that the original files are now gone, there's just the ones I transferred to dropbox, and I'm not sure how to get it to link to my actual game. I'm about to give up and start fresh so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Message 1 of 5 (1,954 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't transfer Sims 4 files

Champion

@Tianna10196 , the easiest way to transfer files from one computer to another is to use a thumb drive to back up or download your Sims 4 folder (Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4). This is where your saved games are stored. 

What you need to do now is to download your old Sims 4 folder from Dropbox to your Desktop, open your new Sims 4 folder (Found in Documents) and then add in the contents from the Saved Games files from the file on your Desktop. 

I'm not sure why you had to use Terminal unless you were transferring files from a Windows OS to the Mac OS. 

Hope this helps and please let us know if this worked and solved your problem.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (1,935 Views)

All Replies

Champion

@Tianna10196 , the easiest way to transfer files from one computer to another is to use a thumb drive to back up or download your Sims 4 folder (Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4). This is where your saved games are stored. 

What you need to do now is to download your old Sims 4 folder from Dropbox to your Desktop, open your new Sims 4 folder (Found in Documents) and then add in the contents from the Saved Games files from the file on your Desktop. 

I'm not sure why you had to use Terminal unless you were transferring files from a Windows OS to the Mac OS. 

Hope this helps and please let us know if this worked and solved your problem.

Message 2 of 5 (1,936 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for responding; so first yes I know about the thumb drive method, but I didn’t have one on hand so that’s why I used Dropbox. Second, I was transferring from a Windows to a Mac so that’s why I had to use Terminal. Finally, I found the new Sims 4 saves folder, and the Dropbox saves folder of the old ones, but how exactly do I move the old ones into the new folder ?

Message 3 of 5 (1,928 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Actually nevermind, I figured it out. Thank you so much for your help.

Message 4 of 5 (1,924 Views)

Champion

Most welcome! Happy Holidays! Standard smile

Message 5 of 5 (1,915 Views)