[Solution] Can't find External Hard Drive in Origin MAC

by Majrolein

Original Post

Re: Can't find External Hard Drive in Origin MAC

★★★ Newbie

Hi! I can find the hard drive, but it always states that ' Origin is unable to install games in your chosen folder because the destination drive is not mounted. Please choose another Folder. '

Message 21 of 261 (4,871 Views)

@ManLingChong

Go into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy and make sure Origin is included in Full Disk Access. If it is not there click the lock to make changes then the + button and choose Origin to add.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 22 of 261 (4,845 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi, I tried all of these things but I get a message saying "directory not found" when I try to do the volume thing. I made sure it was the correct name of my external hard drive. Does anyone know how to fix this?

ps. added picture of the message I get.

Message 23 of 261 (4,765 Views)

@loestz

Did you follow these instructions exactly? https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Can-t-find-External-Hard-Drive-in-Origin-MAC/m-p/8686...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 24 of 261 (4,700 Views)

★★★ Novice

After restarting my laptop I got it to work, thank you!

Message 25 of 261 (4,697 Views)

Sims 4 download onto external hard drive MAC

★★★ Newbie

I have not been able to download Sims 4 due to there not being enough space on my internal drive. I've tried downloading it onto my external drive but when trying to change the folder in which the it downloads my external hard drive doesn't show up. I've tried moving everything off my computer onto my external hard drive to then dl the game onto my internal hd, but I still don't have enough space?

Help! I'm stuck in quarantine with nothing to do!

Message 26 of 261 (4,042 Views)

Re: Sims 4 download onto external hard drive MAC

@mollyrosekay

Origin needs full disk access to save games to an external if you are running Catalina. You need to allow any permissions popups that appear when trying to change the location. You can also add permission by going to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access and making sure Origin is allowed and checked as an option.

If you're not running Catalina let me know.

Moving stuff to an external doesn't always remove it, it just copies it so everything you've tried to move might still be there, although you can't move everything.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 27 of 261 (4,018 Views)

Re: SIMS4 from MAC onto External HardDrive?

★★ Novice

@GillR52 @Bluebellflora were you able to successfully have your mods/saves on your external hard drive too? I’m having this issue rn and I’m pretty sure I did everything right despite everytime i unplug the hard drive and plug it back in the sims acts like I’m downloading it again for the first time. I just want to be able to download more cc to work by having more space with my external hard drive. 

Message 28 of 261 (18,916 Views)

@brisoju

Your saves/mods etc. are stored on your internal storage in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4. If you move that folder the game will just recreate a new one.

There are a couple of ways to successfully store your Sims 4 folder externally though, I have written a guide here with the options available - https://bluebellflora.com/2020/03/01/if-youre-running-out-of-space-to-play-the-sims-here-are-your-op...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 29 of 261 (18,887 Views)

★★ Novice

This has been super helpful!! Thank you so much!! 

Message 30 of 261 (18,834 Views)