Re: Can’t Go Beyond 1440 x 900 resolution on a Retina Macbook Air

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Can’t Go Beyond 1440 x 900 resolution on a Retina Macbook Air

★ Apprentice

Hello! I have a 2018 Macbook Air with a retina screen, upon increasing resolution from Sims 3 settings it goes to squared. Sims 4 sims to display retina resolution properly. This has been bugging me since I though 64-bit update would solve that

Message 1 of 6 (1,019 Views)

@akotbkotb  What's the native resolution of your screen?  If you use an in-game resolution of 1440x900 but in windowed mode (hit cmd-enter to switch between fullscreen and windowed modes), how much of the screen does the game window occupy?  I've noticed that the game window seems to take up more space on the screen or monitor than the in-game resolution would suggest it should, so this may be how Sims 3 is rendered.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (1,015 Views)

★ Apprentice

My native resolution is 2560x1600 but if it works the ui becomes tiny and mostly it just goes into a square so i only can play consistently on 1400 x 900 but it looks blurred

Message 3 of 6 (993 Views)

@akotbkotb  Does the game look blurry in both fullscreen and windowed mode?  Please switch to each one, then quit the game and restart before testing, just to be thorough.

What other resolutions do you have available?  Please test them all in both fullscreen and windowed modes, and let me know which ones look blurry and which look okay.

Message 4 of 6 (983 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I'm having the same issue. I have a Macbook Pro 2018 with 2560x1600 retina display. After downloading the Sims 3 64-bit update it opened up with the 4:3 display in full screen so I tried to get the display to a resolution that fitted my aspect ratio better. However, the 2560x1600 option in the menu just made my display blurrier and I did command-enter to return to the window and that is where the display looked the clearest but the menu got very small. I personally like to play in full screen so I tried to do command-enter back to full screen and it got all blurry again. I can only play full screen in a low resolution.

Message 5 of 6 (961 Views)

[ Edited ]

@lillums23  Try switching to an intermediate resolution, not 2560x1600 but something else with a 16:10, while in windowed mode, then switching back to fullscreen.  You may have to experiment a bit with different resolutions to get something that looks good.

Again though, it does seem that Sims 3 uses fewer pixels to take up more space on the computer screen than expected.

Message 6 of 6 (932 Views)