Can my macbook air play the sims4?

by afreeh01

Original Post

Can my macbook air play the sims4?

★★★ Newbie
I'm planning on buying my own Macbook Air 13 inch laptop. I know these computers are a lot of money and I won't want to buy one unless it works. I'm not looking to run the game on high settings just low or medium will work for me. The specs for the Macbook Air are: 2.2GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
Intel HD Graphics 6000
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
Accessory Kit
The overall cost (including the student discount) is $1,143.74
Message 1 of 2 (2,016 Views)

Re: Can my macbook air play the sims4?

[ Edited ]

@afreeh01

MacBook Airs are absolutely not designed for gaming at all as they are simply not powerful enough to run apps that require significant processor and graphics power. All MacBooks/MacBook Airs and the 13" MacBook Pros have integrated Intel graphics which will never deliver high gaming performance, dedicated GPUs are needed. Whilst you may be ok with the base game and one or two add on packs, over time your game will slow down as you add more to it and your saves get bigger.

MacBook Airs are very thin so heat is an issue, especially when gaming because of the power needed. Whilst your Mac will very efficiently cool itself down it will still get hot and the operating system will throttle the power to the game to stop the machine overheating. This throttling will cause in-game lag as the Mac struggles to process all the information needed for the game to run.

MacBook Airs are amazing for what they are designed for - portability for work/school etc. but for gaming you should really be looking at the higher spec. 15" MacBook Pro with AMD graphics or the 27" iMac.

Many people do manage to play on MacBook Airs but there are also a lot of people who give up because the lag becomes unbearable.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 2 (2,002 Views)