Re: Can different users play Sims4 on the same MacBook?

by floorkoppejan

Original Post

Can different users play Sims4 on the same MacBook?

★★★ Newbie

Dear all,

We have a family Macbook on which two of our kids like to play Sims4. As a parent I would like to monitor their screentime so I set up individual User Accounts for them.

Setting them up with the Parental Controls Apple provides is not workable, so I tried setting them up with a Standard account and even an Admin account.

Much to my annoyance, none of these accounts can run the application. I can login on Origin and click 'Play Sims4', but then it will yield an error.

Does anyone know how this could be resolved? I would be much obliged! and so would my kids...

Kind regards,

Floor Koppejan

Message 1 of 7 (1,068 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@floorkoppejan Short answer... No.
Message 2 of 7 (1,066 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@HolyDonkey hm, and the longer answer?

and is there any other way to realise what I have in mind?
Message 3 of 7 (1,056 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Different origin accounts or different user accounts?

They would have to use the same origin account or you would have to buy two copies of the game.

It shouldn't a problem therefore using different user accounts - they would just log in to the one origin account to play.

Message 4 of 7 (1,002 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Coley666 just different user accounts. That it should not be a problem is what I expected, but I cannot make it work and I don't understand why not?

@HolyDonkey told me it's not possible but then I would like to know why it doesn't work and how I could find some other way of doing this. It's two of my girls that both want their own families. They use the same account alright but I want to keep an eye on their screen time, that's all.
Message 5 of 7 (971 Views)

@floorkoppejan

Moved your post to the Mac forum Standard smile

It absolutely should work provided they log into Origin using the same account the game was purchased through.

Where is Origin installed? Macintosh HD > Applications or Macintosh HD > Users > [user account] > Applications?

Same question as above but for the Sims 4 app.

What is the error message you are getting?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 6 of 7 (961 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Bluebellflora Thanks! I'm new here, didn't know where to post it.

The message I'm getting is an 'initialization error'. I took a screenshot but I still have to find out how I retrieve that on my own account.

I checked it and Origin is installed on MacHD>Apps but Sims4 is installed on MacHD>Users>[user account]> Apps, so that could very well be the problem!

How do I resolve this? Uninstall from the user account and install on MacHD>Apps directly I suppose?

And will their current games still be available after uninstalling and re-installing?
Message 7 of 7 (949 Views)