[CURRENT ISSUE] sims 3 64 bit & metal keeps crashing?

by daydreamqt

Original Post

Re: sims 3 64 bit keeps freezing

★★ Novice

=== Application info ===
Name: Sims3
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 3 GPU Memory: 5 CPU: 3 RAM: 5 CPU Speed: 2000 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 3400 RAM: 16384 Adjusted RAM: 15872 Cores: 4
Card Found in DB: 0
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Mac OS X Version 10.16 (Build 20C69)
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 10
OS minor ver: 16
OS SP major ver: 0
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: MacBookPro16,2
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1038NG7 CPU @ 2.00GHz
Family: 8
Model: 7
Cores: 4
HT: 1
x64: 1
Memory: 16384MB
Free memory: 3982MB
User: 
Computer: 
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): Intel Iris Plus Graphics
Name (database): Intel Iris Plus Graphics [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor: Intel
Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 8a53, Board: 00000211, Chipset: 0007
Driver: macOS Metal driver, Version: 0.0.0.0
Driver version: 0
Monitor: 00000000
Texture memory: 1536MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 0
=== Options ===
AnimationSmoothing 1
LightingQuality 1
GeneralReflections 1
TextureQuality 1
VisualEffects 2
TerrainQuality 1
EdgeSmoothing 0
ObjectHiding 1
AspectRatio 0
ForceSquarePixels 1
SimQuality 2
TreeQuality 1
DrawDistance 2
MaxActiveLots 2
NumMaxActiveLotOptions 6
AdvancedRendering 1
AudioQuality 3
AudiOopsutputMode 1
VoiceLevel 255
SoundFXLevel 255
MusicLevel 255
AmbientLevel 255
FocusMute 1
VoiceMute 0
SoundFXMute 0
MusicMute 0
AmbientMute 0
EdgeScrolling 0
EdgeScrollingWarning 1
SupressOpportunityDialogs 0
SuppressOpportunityDialogsWarningProducts 316399
SimWhileMinimized 0
TwelveHourClock 1
ShowPlacementGrid 0
AutonomyLevel 1
DisableAutonomyForSelectedSim 0
PetAutonomyLevel 2
AgingInterval 2
EnableAging 1
EnableTutorial 1
EnableIntroTutorial 0
EnableTombResets 1
EnableInGameStore 1
EnableTelemetry 1
EnableMemories 1
AgingStageLengthBaby 3
AgingStageLengthToddler 7
AgingStageLengthChild 7
AgingStageLengthTeen 14
AgingStageLengthYoungAdult 21
AgingStageLengthAdult 21
AgingStageLengthElder 17
EnableInteractiveLoading 1
AgingStageLengthPuppy 0
AgingStageLengthDogAdult 0
AgingStageLengthDogElder 0
AgingStageLengthKitten 0
AgingStageLengthCatAdult 0
AgingStageLengthCatElder 0
AgingStageLengthFoal 0
AgingStageLengthHorseAdult 0
AgingStageLengthHorseElder 0
LunarCycleLength 3
LunarPhaseLength 0
EnableLunarCycle 1
EnableLunarPhase 0
EnableStoryProgression 1
EnableVampires 1
EnableWerewolves 1
EnablePets 1
EnableCelebrities 1
EnableFairies 1
EnableWitches 1
EnableHorses 1
EnableOptOutCeleb 0
ReceiveConnectTNS 1
ReceivedDevGift 0
PostFilterFlags 0
RequireLoginBeforeLoad 0
SummerLength 7
FallLength 7
WinterLength 7
SpringLength 7
SummerEnabled 1
FallEnabled 1
WinterEnabled 1
SpringEnabled 1
IsCelcius 0
FogEnabled 1
RainEnabled 1
SnowEnabled 1
HailEnabled 1
InvertHorizontalRotation 0
InvertVerticalRotation 0
VideoCaptureSize 1
VideoCaptureQuality 2
VideoCaptureSound 0
VideoCaptureTime 60
VideoCaptureHideUI 1
=== Default Options ===
AnimationSmoothing 1
LightingQuality 2
GeneralReflections 1
TextureQuality 2
VisualEffects 2
TerrainQuality 1
EdgeSmoothing 0
ObjectHiding 1
AspectRatio 0
ForceSquarePixels 1
SimQuality 2
TreeQuality 2
DrawDistance 2
MaxActiveLots 2
NumMaxActiveLotOptions 6
AdvancedRendering 1
AudioQuality 3
AudiOopsutputMode 1
VoiceLevel 255
SoundFXLevel 255
MusicLevel 255
AmbientLevel 255
FocusMute 1
VoiceMute 0
SoundFXMute 0
MusicMute 0
AmbientMute 0
EdgeScrolling 0
EdgeScrollingWarning 1
SupressOpportunityDialogs 0
SuppressOpportunityDialogsWarningProducts 0
SimWhileMinimized 0
TwelveHourClock 1
ShowPlacementGrid 0
AutonomyLevel 2
DisableAutonomyForSelectedSim 0
PetAutonomyLevel 2
AgingInterval 2
EnableAging 1
EnableTutorial 1
EnableIntroTutorial 1
EnableTombResets 1
EnableInGameStore 1
EnableTelemetry 1
EnableMemories 1
AgingStageLengthBaby 3
AgingStageLengthToddler 7
AgingStageLengthChild 7
AgingStageLengthTeen 14
AgingStageLengthYoungAdult 21
AgingStageLengthAdult 21
AgingStageLengthElder 17
EnableInteractiveLoading 1
AgingStageLengthPuppy 0
AgingStageLengthDogAdult 0
AgingStageLengthDogElder 0
AgingStageLengthKitten 0
AgingStageLengthCatAdult 0
AgingStageLengthCatElder 0
AgingStageLengthFoal 0
AgingStageLengthHorseAdult 0
AgingStageLengthHorseElder 0
LunarCycleLength 3
LunarPhaseLength 0
EnableLunarCycle 1
EnableLunarPhase 0
EnableStoryProgression 1
EnableVampires 1
EnableWerewolves 1
EnablePets 1
EnableCelebrities 1
EnableFairies 1
EnableWitches 1
EnableHorses 1
EnableOptOutCeleb 0
ReceiveConnectTNS 1
ReceivedDevGift 0
PostFilterFlags 0
RequireLoginBeforeLoad 0
SummerLength 7
FallLength 7
WinterLength 7
SpringLength 7
SummerEnabled 1
FallEnabled 1
WinterEnabled 1
SpringEnabled 1
IsCelcius 0
FogEnabled 1
RainEnabled 1
SnowEnabled 1
HailEnabled 1
InvertHorizontalRotation 0
InvertVerticalRotation 0
VideoCaptureSize 1
VideoCaptureQuality 2
VideoCaptureSound 0
VideoCaptureTime 60
VideoCaptureHideUI 1

Has anyone figured out how to stop it crashing yet? I've just redownloaded the Sims onto this Laptop (Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2020 with 16GB RAM) CAS works fine it's as soon as I enter game mode. I have all expansions except University and Into the Future and half of the stuff packs. No CC and no store items are downloaded. I'm trying to play Appaloosa Plains with pets. 

I've tried making a clean file, turning the graphics down, playing in Window mode, deleting the version tag, and updated to Big Sur. The game crashed before I updated and is still crashing after. The fans aren't whizzing and it's not freezing it just suddenly quits the game. Please help! 😞

Message 101 of 137 (1,132 Views)

@Amagirl  Are you trying to play with a pet in the household?  If so, try with just human sims.  It seems that a lot of laptops with Intel graphics chips are having a difficult time with pets.

If that doesn't help, try uninstalling the Pets expansion and playing in Sunset Valley.  You can just delete the folder for Pets, which will be in either Applications > The Sims 3 Packs or Users > [your username] > Applications > The Sims 3 Packs.  Pets was the fifth expansion released, so its folder is EP05.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 102 of 137 (1,116 Views)

★★ Novice

Actually I tried that earlier today, I think i'm in agreement with you there. I was in Appaloosa still but I selected a household with no pets and it worked fine, I even made them go and interact with someone else's pet, still fine. As soon as I tried to switch households to someone with pets it crashed. 

Is there anything else that can be done other than just not having pets in the family? Ironically this is the main reason why I wanted to start playing the sims again was for the horses 🥺

Message 103 of 137 (1,104 Views)

@Amagirl  I haven't heard of a good workaround for this.  I'm not actually sure how widespread the issue is though—it's possible that a number of people with your hardware play just fine with pets in the household.  It's also possible that some pets are more problematic than others, so you could try having an active, no-pet household adopt a horse and see what happens.

If the game crashes after the adoption, try lowering all the graphics settings to the minimum and playing in windowed mode.  Make the changes at the Main Menu, then quit to desktop before loading a save.  You might not have to keep playing with those settings; the point is to see whether there's a way to play with pets at all, and then go from there.

Message 104 of 137 (1,088 Views)

★★ Novice

Long overdue update in me replying to this, but I wanted to really try it out before I could conclude it works for me.

I turned down all my graphics and the game seems to be working absolutely fine for me now. It's not crashed once for me. I'm still in Appaloosa and instead of creating pets I've instead adopted them and that's been fine. My game currently has 2 horses 1 dog and 1 cat. So thank you for suggesting this because I can conclude it works for me, ) (even if the snow on the ground in the winter doesn't actually seem to stay there! 😂)

I might try increasing the graphics a little bit and see what happens, just so I can have the snow behave normally. But otherwise if anyone is looking for a fix this might work for them too. 

Message 105 of 137 (1,007 Views)

@Amagirl  That's great to hear, and I'm glad that adopting pets works okay, since you're one of many that has trouble creating them.

For the snow, try enabling Advanced Rendering; that's the setting that seems to make a difference.  Hopefully it won't make your game less stable.

Message 106 of 137 (990 Views)

★ Guide

Hello @puzzlezaddict 

I recently got a Mac desktop. I'm still learning this machine. I'm much more fluent with PC. One of the first things I did when I got my mac was to see if I could get Sims 3 on it. 

So I have the 64 bit metal and most expansions, clean install. Right off the bat, I noticed it ran better than when I first installed it on my PC. My PC was actually built to run sims.

I've noticed after playing sims on my mac now for many hours and many saves it's starting to run a little buggy. What worked on my PC was installing.. error-trap and overwatch

I also always played with internet disconnected and had a program called Razor cortex that would shut off all background annoyances. I had cc and mods. Sims ran great after all that.

So what I'm wondering, being on a mac now. Can you get these mods for mac and do you think these mods would help? I noticed after my last install of Isla Paradiso, the jerky freezing got worse.

I know Isla Paradiso has many bugs and I was able to correct it on my PC by manually fixing most of the objects around town that were causing sims to be stuck. Error-trap also helps with that.

So what I'm experiencing now is, being in window mode my game has crashed a couple of times. I can try what you've suggested to others here. But I'm not sure how to post the deviceconfig.log The first crash I experienced was the very first time my sim travelled to the future and as soon as she landed out of the portal it crashed. The second time was in fast-forward mode after many sims hours.

Message 107 of 137 (910 Views)

@leahmay74  Sims 3 can use more RAM, as much as you have installed, in the 64-bit version, so the game may appear to be more stable by virtue of not crashing due to running out of memory.  But it otherwise has the same problems as the Windows version, including a glitchy Isla Paradiso.  (There are also some additional issues that don't exist in Windows, for example you'll notice that you can't see any options when clicking on open water.)  That also includes the possibility of the game crashing for no apparent reason, which of course becomes more likely the longer your game session extends.

For IP, the same fixes that were necessary before are necessary now, and the same fixes work as well.  In case you don't want to do all the work yourself, here's a save you can use; the player who made it also documented the fixes she made for those who would rather edit their own saves.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag

Any mod that works in the fully patched Windows version of Sims 3 also works in the 64-bit Mac version, so yes, go ahead and install ErrorTrap and Overwatch.  I'd add Traveler too if your sims are going to be traveling; Register and Traffic are also quite useful for various reasons.  And MasterController is great for its ability to reset anything and everything, although it doesn't have any impact unless you issue a command.

Message 108 of 137 (905 Views)

★ Guide

Yes now that I think about it. There were no options clicking on open water. bummer. Thank you

this helps so much. I'll try the fixes for IP and install those mods. My gosh, why does Sims 3 have to be so good but yet so

complicated? lol!

Message 109 of 137 (893 Views)

★ Guide

@puzzlezaddict 

Hello again, Hope all is well!

I worked on fixing IP for the last couple of days. Running better but no open water options still. 

Also just when I think the game is running pretty well. It crashes again after a few hours. Same thing everyone else is reporting.

Do you think there will be a patch to fix it? I was also thinking of maybe something in the background running or being connected to the internet.

How do you play through origin without the internet? I saw something about TS3w.exe and DEP as well but I have no idea. Oh and I'm also thinking of

upgrading my RAM from 8 GB to 32 GB.

Message 110 of 137 (847 Views)