[CURRENT ISSUE] The Sims 3 - Issues playing on newer (post 2013) Macs

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: Downloaded Sims 3 Game Won't Launch

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

ALSO- Yes, I did install two EPs that I did not run on disc. Generations and World Adventures. Should I try to change the graphic settings in the TextEdit for those as well?

Message 201 of 274 (560 Views)

Re: I am losing my mind here[Mac]

@cinematicdragons

The grey map is really common and there doesn't appear to be a fix yet. Can you load a house?

As you've changed the settings to medium you will have to trash the Options.ini file and load the game again so it is regenerated, then probably edit it like you did before to the right resoution.

Can you open the DeviceConfig.log file in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 and see what it says under Graphics device info? It should look like this:

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 19.16.07.png

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 202 of 274 (556 Views)

@cinematicdragons

I'm going to move this to the stickied thread you've also posted in so all info is in the same place.I'll answer you there Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 203 of 274 (554 Views)

@cinematicdragons wrote:

ALSO- Yes, I did install two EPs that I did not run on disc. Generations and World Adventures. Should I try to change the graphic settings in the TextEdit for those as well?

@cinematicdragons

Can you uninstall Generations and WA and try again? Some EPs are completely unplayable unfortunately but it may be worth editing the sgr file(s) in the EP too.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 204 of 274 (553 Views)

★★★ Novice

I trashed the Options.ini file and re-edited the Graphics files so they're all correct and whatnot. I'm getting WA and Gen uninstalled right now. 

I opened the DeviceConfig.log file but I can't seem to find the Graphics Device Info...

(By the way, thank you so much for taking the time to help me and everyone else. I really really appreciate it!)

Message 205 of 274 (535 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I got Generations and WA uninstalled. But, unlike when I first edited the Graphics files, it won't launch the game at all. It just goes to the blue screen with the green plumbob and sits there until I have to force quit it. I double-checked the Graphic files and they're all edited the way they should be according to your article. So now I don't know what to do.

Message 206 of 274 (778 Views)

★★★ Novice

UPDATE: I uninstalled ALL of my EPs and tried to play The Sims 3 Base alone. It launched and loaded correctly. Although the map was still gray, I could go into Create-A-Sim and when I went to a house, the graphics appeared to be all working fine. So, the game seems to work fine without any expansions. 

This is a bit confusing though because when I had my EPs on CD (Late Night, High-End Loft, Pets and Dragon Valley), they all worked without any problem. Why do they not work now? Is it just the new EPs, WA and Gen that messed them all up?

If there's a way I can play with my EPs, that would be great of course.

Message 207 of 274 (763 Views)

@cinematicdragons

Yes, EPs do seem to exacerbate the issue. Can you install them one by one, testing after each one to see if it is still working? Just install the ones you had on disc first, leave WA and Generations for last.

It's interesting that your disc game worked and you've only had this issue with Origin downloads.....!

AHQSigImage.png
Message 208 of 274 (760 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yeah, I've only had this issue with Origin downloads. If I can't fix this, I'm just going to go back to disc. 

I have a new problem - I tried installing my EPs one by one but it wouldn't even open the launcher. The message "Unknown error occurred" would appear. I uninstalled the EP again and tried to open the base game alone, and the same message keeps popping up. 

Message 209 of 274 (752 Views)

@cinematicdragons

Can you see if opting into the Origin beta works? Open Origin then click on Origin then Preferences in the menu bar. Then check the beta participation box.

Drag your Sims 3 folder from Documents > Electronic Arts to the Desktop and see if the Launcher will open. Failing that, download the patch manually and try again (link is in my signature below).

AHQSigImage.png
Message 210 of 274 (742 Views)