Re: Mac: Error with sims 3 "Unknown Error Occurred" (after installing)

by emilywwatson1

Original Post

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE]'Unknown Error' issue in Sims 3 in El Capitan/Sierra macOS

★ Novice

Hi,

I have some problems with my sims 3. I have deleted and reinstalled it so many times now that i lost count. When I installed my sims 3 I get the unknown error immediately. Im playing with 2 extensions (late night and luxe accessories) but even without the extensions it won't work. For some unknown reason when I install sims 3 he doesn't install the delete program so thats really weird. 

I play on a macbook with Sierra so i think that causes some problems as well. Anyone who can help me?? I tried the whole fix thing but it doesn't work because the problem is the basic sims 3 game.

Message 251 of 532 (982 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Tysm omg I literally cried ilyyy
Message 252 of 532 (933 Views)

Re: unknown error mac issue

★ Novice

OK so I've had the Sims3 + E/Ps for years on this laptop but I haven't played it for a long time (maybe a year or two). I normally keep everything on a flash drive since it takes up so much space and it's played perfectly fine. Well when I say perfectly fine I mean it displayed the usual Mac issues but nothing that couldn't be worked around (e.g. taking a couple launches before the "No disk" error went away).

I've been wanting to play it again recently, but I've forgotten any/all special tricks that were necessary to get the game to run. First attempt was the no disk error, but this didn't disappear, even after several launch attempts. I would launch from the flash drive, the disc running on an external hard drive, the startup screen would display, it would go through the whole intro-shabang. Since I don't have all of the discs with me I tried uninstalling and reinstalling through origin. After getting the base game installed I tried running it, but got the "Unknown error". Tried re-uninstalling and installing, tried downloading some E/Ps and running through them, tried the suggestion by corey_0414, but I'm not missing the E/P folder. The entire game refuses to launch. And I'm not sure but it seems the folders themselves appear less numerous/extensive/...full... then what I remember. It's as if Origin is downloading only a phantom of the game....I don't know but it's 5am and I've lost my ability to problem solve.

Help me Bluebellflora, you're my only hope!

• Operating System (Version)- HIGH SIERRA, 10.32.1
  • Mac model- MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2011)
  • Processor- 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
  • Memory (RAM)- 2GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics- Intel HD Graphics 3000 288 MB
  • Are you running any antivirus?- NO
  • Have you tried to repair the game in Origin? Right click on the game in My Games and select Repair Game.- N/A
  • Do you use CC/Mods? If so, have you tried removing them and seeing if that fixes your problem?- NO
Message 253 of 532 (871 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hello, my MacBook is having similar issues, but I haven't installed any expansion packs yet, but still it tells me about an unknown error right after opening The Sims 3... do you know how to fix that?

Message 254 of 532 (833 Views)

★★ Novice
This still has not worked for me,even after uninstalling and reinstalling as well.

PLEASE HELP!
Message 255 of 532 (817 Views)

Re: Can't open The Sims 3 on my Mac due to "unknown error."

★ Novice
Same here.... Found a solution?
Message 256 of 532 (806 Views)

★ Novice

You are amazing and you have honestly made my life again! I have the worst addiction to this game and you seriously have not idea the impact you just made on my life! Thank You! 

Message 257 of 532 (770 Views)

[ Edited ]

@zooxahoy72

Ha ha, love the Star Wars reference Wink 

@Lennjan @emilywwatson1 @tessabuitenhuis @zooxahoy72

The Sims 3 help thread is now fully updated with all known issues and workarounds. Please read through it and understand that the game has not been updated in 4 years and is not compatible on newer Macs. I took the time to write the post and provide links, please take the time to read it Standard smile

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/749...

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 258 of 532 (766 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
A huge Thanks to you and everybody who has been involved in solving the issue of having a Mac that is too new to support The Sims 3! I've been doing a clean uninstall and followed the steps of adding my Mac to the game files and in the end it worked for me! I couldn't thank you guys more for that solution which I really appreciate. You made my day, weekend, week and many more days to come Standard smile
Message 259 of 532 (742 Views)

★★ Novice

Any idea why, when I right click on the sims 3 folder it just opens.  It doesn't show show package contents?

Message 260 of 532 (728 Views)