[CURRENT ISSUE] Freezing, possible system lockup on Macs with AMD Vega GPUs

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: Continue issues with Mac freezing after October update

★ Guide

Agreed - pack looks good and I like some of the updates. EA isn't getting a dime from me though until they fix this major issue. 

Message 141 of 229 (654 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@WillFoShizzle wrote:

No one has said it yet and that’s just what I’m fearing. I understand computers age much quicker technology wise and this problem with the graphic card makes me fear these are the next to get the boot similar to what happened with metal a year or two ago. 

@aftksims wrote:

I get that we are probably in the minority when it comes to gaming since most people use PCs, but still... 

Very defeatist sentiments here... Standard smile My MacBook Pro was bought exactly a year ago, and the AMD Vega 20 was the highest spec GPU possible for my custom build. It would not even cross my mind to think that my computer was too old to run a game that is in and of itself 6 times older than my computer...

And Macs may be a minority, but that's neither here nor there to be honest - EA sells this game for Macs, so it should work on Macs. What I have currently is unplayable, so I'd at least expect the ability to roll back to 1.65.77.1220 where this issue wasn't happening, so I can at least continue playing the game I've paid for...

Message 142 of 229 (638 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@groenroos wrote:

@WillFoShizzle wrote:

No one has said it yet and that’s just what I’m fearing. I understand computers age much quicker technology wise and this problem with the graphic card makes me fear these are the next to get the boot similar to what happened with metal a year or two ago. 

@aftksims wrote:

I get that we are probably in the minority when it comes to gaming since most people use PCs, but still... 

Very defeatist sentiments here... Standard smile My MacBook Pro was bought exactly a year ago, and the AMD Vega 20 was the highest spec GPU possible for my custom build. It would not even cross my mind to think that my computer was too old to run a game that is in and of itself 6 times older than my computer...

And Macs may be a minority, but that's neither here nor there to be honest - EA sells this game for Macs, so it should work on Macs. What I have currently is unplayable, so I'd at least expect the ability to roll back to 1.65.77.1220 where this issue wasn't happening, so I can at least continue playing the game I've paid for...

I totally agree, there’s no way I can accept that my computer shouldn’t handle this. It wasn’t cheap to upgrade the graphics card or RAM, haha.

But the fact that my game has been unplayable for almost 2 months, no updates and no ability to roll back speaks for itself.

I imagine if a large amount of PC users had unplayable games there would be a fast fix/workaround.

Here we are twiddling our thumbs and waiting. 

Message 143 of 229 (615 Views)

[ Edited ]

You know something else I have noticed? All of you have CPUs with more than 4 cores. And so do the 27" iMacs having similar issues, although they don't have Vega GPUs and the problems aren't as severe.

My 2019 27" iMac also gets a complete system lock up sometimes in-game and I have to power it off and back on again. It has a Radeon Pro 580X 8Gb and an 8-core i9 CPU.......

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 144 of 229 (598 Views)

★ Guide

Interesting. I am in no way an expert but I feel like something in the game is triggering something to be overworked and then it for lack of a better word craps out on us, lol. 

Since upgrading to Big Sur Beta, my system is no longer completely locking up. I can toggle back to the desktop which I thought was interesting. I do have to use Force Quit to close The Sims though.

Grrr hope they fix this soon. That new expansion pack looks so fun!

Message 145 of 229 (582 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

I agree I feel like something is triggering something only because this has never ever been this BAD.

Mostly because certain aspects of my game work but then others don't. That's just so crazy to me and something I've never experienced. 

I also understand we are in a pandemic and workflow may be slow but at the same time the pandemic applies to us simmers (pc AND mac simmers) as well and if anything it makes me want to play sims 10x harder, especially because I've paid for it already. So I really hope this problem gets resolved soon!!! 

Message 146 of 229 (577 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

another day of sims 4 not working

any updates EA? anyone care over there? 

Message 147 of 229 (498 Views)

★ Guide

Yes another full week gone by with no updates or fixes.

Pretty much 2 months of an unplayable product.

Message 148 of 229 (494 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

another day another pointless support chat 

EA (if you are even there listening) - basic troubleshooting is not going to fix this! stop telling me to uninstall and reinstall my game cause I've tried that 10 times. 

basic troubleshooting maybe would have helped before the patch but THE PATCH BROKE MY GAME GET RID OF IT OR FIX IT NOW! I DIDNT MAKE THE PATCH, MY COMPUTER DIDNT MAKE THE PATCH, YOU DID!!!!  MY BLOOD IS BOILING!!!!

AND REPLY TO SIMS 4 MAC ISSUES TWEETS PLEASE, WE SEE YOU HELPING ALL THE SPORT GAME PLAYERS ON TWITTER !!!! 

Message 149 of 229 (450 Views)

@WillFoShizzle

I have to ask though, what did you hope to learn from contacting CS when you know that EA are aware of this issue and looking into it?

And yep, another full week with no update or fix because that's not how patches have ever been applied to TS4.

I get the frustration, been there many times over the years, but ranting here and continually bumping this thread won't help.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 150 of 229 (447 Views)