Re: sims crashing on imac and creating a red static tv thing

by znijnz

Original Post

★ Guide

Just popping in to give an update. Got some play time today in live mode, no issues. I went into another lot to do a build... froze about 5 minutes in. Started to get some weird flashy type stuff on the screen and when I went to toggle back to the desktop, the previous lot I was playing in live mode showed up briefly which is super weird because I wasn't playing that lot anymore. It's like it was imprinted on the screen somehow... makes no sense. Anyone see this happen? I ended up having to force quit as per usual.

Message 211 of 229 (592 Views)

★ Apprentice
@aftksims I have had this too... When the game freezes and I switch back to my desktop, an image of a previous lot or even sometimes the game startup is suddenly visible).

I've been playing in a legacy save for my simblr the past few days and there appear to be lots that seem to trigger the issue more than others...

I'm just hoping that today's patch brings a solution to this issue...
Message 212 of 229 (583 Views)

★ Guide

Nothing mentioned in the patch notes about a fix for this issue.

Will wait and see what everyone’s report is over the next few days I guess.

It would be nice after over 2 months that someone from EA could acknowledge and update us. This is very frustrating at this point.

Message 213 of 229 (564 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Any post-patch updates? I’m too frustrated and pessimistic to put energy into this again, but I’d love to hear if anyone has seen improvements!

Message 214 of 229 (476 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Surprisingly no issues last night or today so far!

I will keep everyone posted... but so far a couple of hours without any problems.

Not holding my breath though.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Literally right after I posted this my game froze. Ughhhhh.

Message 215 of 229 (473 Views)

★★★ Novice

Wanted to post an update.

Had my game in build mode from around 10:00 AM yesterday after the patch update to about 5:00 PM, so pretty much all day, without issue. Granted, most of the time, I just left Sims 4 running rather than actually building but I had to have been actively playing Sims 4 in build mode for at least two hours of that time. Build mode did not freeze once. I had custom content enabled and installed in the game but no build mode custom content. I continuously saved throughout my build in anticipation but nothing happened. Was slightly laggier than normal but that could have been me being overly cautious and doing small movements.

Have noticed something new but it was the day prior to patch. Didn't notice it before this past Monday. I'll add it here in images so you can see what I am talking about. My Sims 4 character is wearing CC so it could be the result of this but as you'll see in the attachment, my Sim has some strange bright white lines spreading out from the body of the character into the ether.

Not sure what is causing this but I thought I would bring it in to the mix of issues.

Will update everyone if I have any future freezing problems.

Message 216 of 229 (462 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

OK, another update. I updated to the most recent version of Big Sur earlier today (I've been on beta, I think it officially comes out tomorrow) and was off today so had several hours of playtime on high graphics settings!

Aside from one mini-freeze that self resolved, the game worked great. I played in live mode and build mode without issue. I hope this continues.

Does anyone have confirmation that the issue was resolved in this patch or is this just luck? I noticed another thread with multiple Mac issues, fortunately things have been ok thus far on my end though.

Will keep everyone updated. 

Message 217 of 229 (428 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@aftksimsUgh I really hope EA doesn't just say "update to Big Sur" and call this solved. Most universities are warning students and faculty that they must not update to Big Sur no matter what because you won't be able to connect to VPNs, connect to Box, run the antivirus software necessary to access university resources like Zoom for remote teaching/learning...
And there's currently no way (according to my University?) to revert to Catalina.

Edit to add: This makes me wonder if the issue is between the post-Sep patch Sims and the Pro Vega graphics card or the post-Sep Sims and Mac OS running Pro Vega. In other words, would running the Sims 4 with BootCamp have the same problems? I can't test this out because I'm constantly near monthly data caps (thanks Comcast) and Sims is enormous, but if anyone else is willing to give it a go that might be very informative about what the kernel issue is.

Message 218 of 229 (407 Views)

★ Apprentice

I have been playing yesterday and Tuesday after updating the game in a few different save files and I haven't had any freezing whatsoever. I even have the impression that my game runs very smooth and spinning the camera and zooming in and out goes really fast. I'm still on Catalina, so I don't think Big Sur has got anything to do with it. 

I haven't put all my mods and cc in my game yet, playing kind of vanilla (a few mods that are already updated), so I'm cautiously optimistic...

Message 219 of 229 (405 Views)

★ Apprentice
@slootforsatan Those lines, pretty certain it's got something to do with the cc your sim is wearing...
Message 220 of 229 (406 Views)