Re: CPU max usage and system crashing on IMac Pro

by SimQARobo

Original Post

★★★★ Apprentice

I have been playing for several hours with these settings without any crashing. Medium+ settings create crashes, low-medium is the highest I can go without crashing at this point.

In good news... it runs slick with the game crippled to ridiculous levels. Hah!

So... I can play. But the solution kind of wants to make me breathe a little bit of fire. I'll test again next patch to see if the base problem has been fixed.

Message 40 of 229 (1,675 Views)

@RJBlain

Great that you can play again but how dreadful that you have to play on such low settings with that GPU. Fingers crossed a patch or Apple update fixes it Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 41 of 229 (1,649 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah. It’s actually hilarious that EA broke the game so badly that I have to * such a high end computer just to be able to play. But, I played the game for 6+ hours yesterday with zero crashing.

i am glad I found a very poor solution to the problem. Because... yeah. I really hope EA fixes it. (Apple didn’t change the vid drivers this update as far as I can tell.)

Message 42 of 229 (1,642 Views)

Re: Game freezes computer

★★★ Novice

I tried deleting the cc the very first thing I did, and that seems to have done nothing.

I tried out deleting the localthumbcache and options.ini, but that changed nothing. 

I only have two saves, one for playing my various families and one for building. I might just cut my losses and start anew at this point, saving the ones I want to keep to my library and re-placing them in a new save.

Message 43 of 229 (1,777 Views)

@Aldriona

Did you test the saves individually in a new clean game folder?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 44 of 229 (1,761 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I had this same problem appear a couple days after the September 3 update. It is almost always triggered by moving the camera, although I've also had it happen when selecting items in BB mode or randomly during live play. It seems to be exacerbated by having multiple windows share a tile (enabled by the Sep 3 update), as the game freezes within 2 minutes on lots where I've used this feature. Resizing the glass floor pieces from Island Living will do it, too. It doesn't freeze my entire computer; in fact, sometimes I am able to click through the exit menu by counting the changing shape of the game cursor, but not always. I can always tab out of the game and force quit. No crash report is ever generated.

If I am in windowed mode, it crashes to desktop with no crash report generated, and glitches Origin such that it tells me another user has Origin open, so I cannot open it again. I am the only user on my computer. Restarting my computer is the only way to fix this particular glitch.

DLC: All packs except Grim's Guitar and Journey to Batuu

System specs:

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

2.4 GHz Intel Core i9

32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 memory

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB with dedicated Radeon Pro Vega 20 (4 GB) graphics

What I have tried:

–removing mods

–repairing the game

–clean game folder

–clean save

–uninstalling and reinstalling Origin

–repairing Origin

–trashing localthumbcache and Options files

–resetting the PRAM

Message 45 of 229 (1,714 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
EA Sims Team

Marked as solution for visibility, please help EA to help you by providing these files - Bluebellflora

Hello @RJBlain @Hodesalat @ElleBeeLulu 

We haven't been able to reproduce the crash being described here.

Would any of you be willing to share these files:

• \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\saves
  • \Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\lastCrash.txt

If so, instructions are here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Team/m-p/6065...

(You can send them through private message if you prefer)

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 46 of 229 (2,525 Views)

★★★ Novice

Had to delete my earlier post. I spoke to soon. I did get a bit more than half an hour of play in after moving my saves to a fresh game folder, but eventually the freezing resurfaced. Frown

Message 47 of 229 (1,407 Views)

@Aldriona

Are you doing anything specific when it happens?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 48 of 229 (1,404 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm not entirely sure. I've been in build mode working on an uninhabited house. I feel like it happens most of the time when I'm moving the camera around, but I know at least once it happened while resizing and placing a piece of furniture. 

Message 49 of 229 (1,380 Views)