Re: CPU max usage and system crashing on IMac Pro

by RJBlain

Original Post

★★★★ Apprentice

Name (driver): Radeon Pro Vega 56
Name (database): AMD Vega 56 [Found: 1, Supported: 1]

is now what my config log states! I am going to see if I can break the game now.

Message 20 of 229 (1,803 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Apprentice

Alas, I still broke it but it lasted much longer than usual before it crashed and burned.

Was definitely worth a try, though. Thanks for your help, I do really appreciate it. 

Message 21 of 229 (1,888 Views)

[CURRENT ISSUE] game glitches on 2019 model 15" MacBook Pro with Vega GPU

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.66.139.1220
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All expansion packs except Cats & Dogs Game packs: Making magic, Strangerville, Parenthood, Vampires, Outdoor retreat Stuff packs: Tiny living, Laundry day, toddler stuff, romantic garden, spooky stuff
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? It has occured when editing an uninhabitated lot, with bb.moveobjects enabled, after 20-30 minutes of play time.
What happens when the bug occurs? Some time into playing the screen will freeze. Most often when moving the camera around, but not 100% if that's the only trigger. At first it just freezes for a few seconds and then resumes as usual. Eventually it will freeze for longer, and weird graphic glitches appear such as the ground going grey, walls turning into weird diamond patterns that are partially see through. It stays like that for a few seconds, switches back to normal view for a few seconds, and then back to the same graphic glitches. At this point it does not unfreeze again, I am unable to tab out of the game, and forced to reboot the entire computer. Once it was flipping between a bright red screen with nothing but the ingame pointer and the graphic glitch house instead. I have encountered the bug both with my cc and mods installed as well as with all of them removed from the game. This bug had never occurred before the latest update was released, nor anything like it.
What do you expect to see? I expect to be able to play for more than twenty minutes at a time, and I expect to be able to leave the game if it glitches.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Not now. I've removed them.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. The latest update, the one that added free placing of windows.

Game freezing bug that makes the game entirely unplayable.

Edit - edited title to reflect the specific Mac model affected by the posters in this thread (Bluebellflora)

Message 22 of 229 (2,289 Views)

@RJBlain

Good that it helped. This is one of those annoying issues where maybe a simple OS update may fix it. Maybe Big Sur will help if EA don't?

Your device ID is different to the one already in the sgr file which is why it couldn't be found until you added it.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 23 of 229 (1,876 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Yeah. I will have to wait to play the game until then. I am not damaging a $6000 computer because of a game and these hard reboots are not good for it. I’ll check every patch, but until then.. wasted money, which sucks but beats frying my computer because it’s crashing out the entire thing. 

Message 24 of 229 (1,873 Views)

Re: Game freezes computer

@Aldriona 

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 25 of 229 (2,270 Views)

★★★ Novice

MacOS Catalina version 10.15.6

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2019)

Processor 2,3 Ghz 8-core Inte Core i9

Memory 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I'm on the normal version of the game, I have no antivirus installed. 

I wasn't aware of the "repair game" function in Origin. I will attempt that now and report back if it changes anything.

Message 26 of 229 (2,250 Views)

★★★ Novice

I ran the repair game function in Origin and started the game again. This time it took only a few minutes before it started to freeze for a moment before giving me back control. First when moving the camera, the second time when rezising an object to be placed. Right after that the graphic glitch happened again, but this time rather than being completely frozen it would be stuck for ten second or so, before giving me back control for a second, and then freezing again and repeating. Thanks to that, I managed to close down the game rather than have to reboot the entire computer.

Message 27 of 229 (2,248 Views)

@Aldriona

Your Mac also has a dedicated GPU too, please provide those details. They are explained in the link.

Could you also please attach your Config.log file to a post here. It is in your Sims 4 folder.

If you move your entire Sims 4 folder to the desktop and allow the game to create a new one, does the crashing still happen in a new, clean game?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 28 of 229 (2,244 Views)

★★★ Novice

Intel UHD Graphics 630:

Chipset Model: Intel UHD Graphics 630

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB

Vendor: Intel

Device ID: 0x3e9b

Revision ID: 0x0002

Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported

gMux Version: 5.0.0

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

Radeon Pro Vega 20:

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro Vega 20

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 4 GB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x69af

Revision ID: 0x00c0

ROM Revision: 113-D2060I-087

VBIOS Version: 113-D20601MA0T-016

Option ROM Version: 113-D20601MA0T-016

EFI Driver Version: 01.01.087

Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported

gMux Version: 5.0.0

Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1

Displays:

Colour LCD:

Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD

Resolution: 2880x1800 Retina

Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Colour (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Connection Type: Internal

I tested deleting the entire folder, and the game seems to run normally then. I played for about twenty minutes and got no freezes. Is there a specific set of things I can attempt removing from the folder? I'd very much like to keep my settings and saves if possible. 

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 29 of 229 (2,229 Views)