Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] TS3 64-bit red flashing game window

by ew2013

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[CURRENT ISSUE 64-bit] red flashing game window

[ Edited ]

Users have reported that the game screen can sometimes flash red for a second or until they interact with the game window again. Reports so far state that it can happen:

• going up/down floor levels
  • zooming in/out
  • changing game screen resolution

Sometimes the game may crash after this happens. If you are experiencing this please post here and attach the DeviceConfig.log file to your post. You can find this file in the Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 folder. Please also explain exactly what you were doing in-game when this happened, whether it disappeared and what you did to make it disappear, or whether it crashed the game/your Mac.

I experienced this when changing screen resolution in windowed mode, it would flash red for a second when switching resolutions.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 2 of 74 (14,650 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I am pretty sure the red flashing screen issue has to do with the number of objects that need to be displayed at one time.  This is why on large lots with a lot of objects, the problem only occurs when you zoom out or increase the number of viewable floors on the buildings (go up a few floors), which causes more objects to have to be rendered. 

So the solution I have found is to go to options>graphics and check the "enable object hiding" box.   This should fix the problem even if you have maxed out graphics settings.    

View in thread

Message 53 of 74 (12,743 Views)

All Replies

Sims 3 zoom out glitch

★★★★★ Novice

Hi all -

I've been playing and enjoying the Sims 3 64 Bit and am new to posting on the forums - woo!  Wanted to see if anyone has come across a graphics glitch that happens when I play families with large, multi-floor households (e.g. Goth and Landgraab household).  Whenever I move around and zoom out to get to a different room, the lot goes to a solid red color and I cannot see anything.  When I zoom back in, it'll fix itself but it's annoying because it's caused my game to crash a few times.  I'm running all of my graphics on their highest setting and own a 2020 MacBook Pro.  Would appreciate any insights or help!

Message 1 of 74 (14,646 Views)

Re: Sims 3 zoom out glitch

@jampreilly

Started a master thread for the red screen issue and merged your post into it. Please could you attach your DeviceConfig.log file to a post here? You can find it in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 3 of 74 (14,622 Views)

I saw a red pulsing screen when going up one floor level, and the screen disappeared when I went back down.  This repeated over and over with the game paused in that moment but did not recur a few minutes later, after I'd run the game clock for a bit.  The game did not crash then or for the rest of the play session, about half an hour.

The affected house was the Ichtaca castle in Isla Paradiso, which has significant terrain changes (and some questionable build decisions), and I was moving the camera to the third floor from the second.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 4 of 74 (14,609 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I experienced a red flash, no more than second when increasing the resolution in full screen mode. It has only occurred once and I have changed the resolution multiple times in both full screen and windowed mode since. It occurred again when zooming out on a large lot in Sunset Valley. 

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 5 of 74 (14,534 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I found that setting my "Texture Detail" under Options to the lowest possible setting fixed the red screen issue when I scrolled out from my lot.  It also seemed exclusive to large lots; I tested a few in Sunset Valley and found it was only hitting Landgraab, Alto, and Goth. 

Message 6 of 74 (14,508 Views)

★★ Pro

I had the flashing red screen when I was putting a house in a lot and also when I switched floors. 

Message 7 of 74 (14,486 Views)

[ Edited ]

@jampreilly @realfabiomello @Hephaestion02 and anyone else affected, has this happened on flat lots, or only on lots with some terrain variation?  I'm just curious.  If you're not sure, you can list the lot(s) where you saw this, and the worlds too for those of us who don't know all the premades in every world.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 8 of 74 (14,469 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hi, this happened yesterday for me and I've since uninstalled and am reinstalling without Pets so I'm not sure my DeviceConfig file would help, (I've added it anyway from my backups).

I experienced it in Isla Paradiso when trying to place a lot replacing Hobart's Hideaway. It zoomed in automatically which started the red screen and as I was zooming out the red screen flashed 3 or 4 times until I was fully zoomed out. I placed the lot but then my game crashed a few minutes later because of pets in the household which is a separate issue. 

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 9 of 74 (14,443 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Apprentice

I, too, am having the red flashing issue sporadically.  Additionally, I am seeing red elements on buildings and items (please see screenshot), which may be related.  Reinstalling the game and/or repairing the game are not working as solutions for me.  I have also tried adjusting the graphical settings in various ways.  Please see device information below.

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 3.44.27 PM.png

Name: Sims3
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 5 CPU: 4 RAM: 5 CPU Speed: 2300 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 3910 RAM: 16384 Adjusted RAM: 15872 Cores: 8
Card Found in DB: 1
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Mac OS X Version 10.15.7 (Build 19H2)
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 10
OS minor ver: 15
OS SP major ver: 0
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: MacBookPro16,1
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
Family: 8
Model: 7
Cores: 8
HT: 1