Re: TS3 64-BIT - MEMORY LEAK

by spookyorca

Original Post

[CURRENT ISSUE 64-bit] TS3 64-bit memory leak

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I think that this issue is important. As we know, TS3 64-bit is fresh, so it's typically that there's some bugs or sth. I had today weird situation - when I was in Buy Mode, my game froze, I was playing for about ~2 hours. My MacBook then slowed down veeery much. Then I got this:

Zrzut ekranu 2020-10-30 o 15.10.37.png

It's message about RAM.

61 GB?! What theee...? Looks like memory leak. Ofc, my MacBook has 8 GB RAM, so it used disk space until it was full. Before I could do something, my computer froze completely and restarted.

IMG_5375.jpeg

For now, this was just one accident, but maybe you had it too, so let me know about that and remember about saving your game as often as you can! Standard smile

(edited title - Bluebellflora)

Message 3 of 30 (3,395 Views)

"Your system has run out of application memory" error - Sims3 64bit Mac

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

So I have the 64-bit Sims 3 working with multiple expansion packs installed (4 or 5, I think). It was working fine for an hour and a half before crashing randomly, but I restarted it and played for another 2 hours before the game froze then had a message pop up saying "Your system has run out of application memory" and showing that the Sims 3 was using 61.89GB?? That seems like an insane amount for it to be using, right?

Anyone with the same issue or have any advice for me?

Screenshots of system details and error message attached.

Message 1 of 30 (3,286 Views)

Re: "Your system has run out of application memory" error - Sims3 64bi

@Eemsmoo  That is an insane amount of memory.  What does the Activity Monitor say?  You can launch it, open the Memory section, and leave it running while you play.  Then you'd see not only current RAM use but a graph showing recent use, in the lower left corner of the window.

Your computer doesn't have a lot of memory installed either, so it's a good idea to not run anything else (aside from Origin) while you play, at least for now.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 30 (3,286 Views)

[ Edited ]

@MarRezKermi  I suspect that the Force Quit menu reading is just a bit inaccurate.  Please open the Memory tab in the Activity Monitor (in Applications > Utilities) while you play.  Double-click on the Sims 3 entry, so you get an additional pop-up.

Please take screenshots when you first load a save and the game clock has run for a few sim-minutes, when you've played for at least half an hour, and when you've played long enough to get a slowdown.  The screenshot should contain the graph in the bottom left corner of the Activity Monitor too:

AM memory tab.png

Please also post the full specs of your Mac, including operating system, as described in this post:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-3-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

Message 4 of 30 (3,370 Views)

★ Guide

Yeah, sorry for that! It just happened again! 42 GB and I decided to kill task, because my computer started freezing again!

Situation: 3 Sims on different places, suddenly all froze.

Everything was starting to freeze again, so I did only one screenshot from Monitor (at the game beginning it was ~2,15 GB, I'll update screenshots from next gameplay, promise!) before my computer freaked out:

Zrzut ekranu 2020-10-30 o 22.29.35.png

My MacBook specification:

- MacOS Catalina (screenshot)

- MacBook Air 2017 13,3"

- Processor i5 5350U 1,8 GHz (2 Cores, 4 Threads)

- 8 GB RAM

- Intel HD 6000 Graphics

Zrzut ekranu 2020-10-30 o 22.29.54.png

I have all EPs installed and SPs - without Katy Perry's SP and Movie. My Mods - Nraas and Error Trap & custom world (Legacy Island III) + some CC from Store.

Message 5 of 30 (3,357 Views)

@MarRezKermi  That is... impressive.  What does it say if you double-click on the Sims 3 entry in the Activity Monitor?  You should see real, virtual, shared, and private memory listed.

I'd also love to test your save, if you're willing to share it.  You can upload it to a filehosting site (Google Drive, Dropbox, whatever) and either link it here or PM me.

Please also test in a clean Sims 3 folder with no mods or custom content.  You can just rename the existing one, and the launcher will spawn a new one the next time you open it.

Message 6 of 30 (3,318 Views)

your system has run out of application memory?

★★ Guide

im really confused.. what does this mean (and why is the sims 3 taking so much) and how can i fix it

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 9.56.48 PM.png

Message 7 of 30 (3,278 Views)

@spookyorca  I've merged your post with another on the same issue.  Please provide the information listed in my other posts, so we can compare notes.

Message 8 of 30 (3,270 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide

here you go!Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 10.42.36 PM.png

Message 9 of 30 (3,259 Views)

@spookyorca  Thanks.  What does the Activity Monitor say about RAM use?  I'm particularly interested in the information you see if you double-click on the Sims 3 entry.  More details are in what is now post 4, after I merged another thread.

Message 10 of 30 (3,227 Views)