Re: Shadowy Box Glitch Sims 4

by MintMario

Original Post

Bugged shadows with reflections and post-processing off

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora Hi! this is my first time posting here, I have experienced this glitch and tried the workaraound chaging the SSAO configuration but it didn't work. After some trial and error I found out that this glitch only happened whenever I had mirrors in the house and that changing this line (prop $ConfigGroup RenderReflectionsEnabled) to false in every setting solved the issue, now i don't have any reflections on the mirrors but looks like the issue is solved. I did this after repairing my game so the GraphicsRules.sgr file should be clean. I hope this helps and can be patched in the future!

I'm playing on a Mac (Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB / Catalina 10.15.5)

(Edit - split from previous bug thread here related to Intel graphics and edited title, Bluebellflora)

Message 1 of 7 (1,364 Views)

@MintMario 

Thank you! That's really helpful. Which model Mac do you have? Do you think it's the exact same issue or a different one? Because this issue only affected low spec. Intel chips before it was fixed.

- Does the mirror need to be in the same room as the sim or just anywhere on the lot?

- Do you have a screenshot too with mirrors present and without for comparison?

- Instead of editing the GraphicsRules, does changing the reflections setting in the game options also get rid of it?

I may split this into its own thread as a new issue.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 7 (1,358 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora The model of the iMac: Retina 4K, 21.5 inches, 2019 / 3,2 GHz Intel Core i7 de 6 core / 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

The problem is the same as in this thread I think from what I've seen on other people's screenshots. In my trials I noticed some other things that seem to trigger the glitch, but first your questions:

- The mirror doesn't need to be on the same room, but I think it happens when is visible. I haven't checked it to be 100% sure but having mirrors on the lot and not on screen doesn't trigger the glitch.

- Find the screenshots attached.

- Changing the reflection settings to "off" got rid of it yes, but then I lost the water reflections, that was when I tried changing the GraphicsRules to only get rid of the mirror reflections.

Things that triggered the glitch "unrelated" to mirrors:

- Hovering over an object to select it. I tried the "hovereffects off" cheat and it got rid of the glitch when hovering on an object, BUT when I selected to make the action and the white outline appeared the glitch happened again (this was before trying anything with the mirrors).

As you can see on the screenshots, when I had mirrors on the bathroom and visible on screen, hovering over any object caused the glitch, but having reflections off or no mirrors on the lot and hovering didn't trigger it. I think (not 100% sure) having the reflections "on" but beeing too far to have the reflection shown on screen also doesn't display the glitch, maybe that's what makes it seem so random.

Let me know if you want me to do any more tests!

Message 3 of 7 (1,380 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Bluebellflora

Another test:

Reflections "on" with post processing effects "on" doesn't trigger the glitch, but when I turnt it "off" it triggers it. See screenshots, changed ingame without restarting.

Message 4 of 7 (1,371 Views)

@MintMario

Superb testing - thank you! Really helpful and informative.

I've split your posts into a new thread for now because the issue for Intel chips was fixed in the 1.63.133.1220 patch in June. Would you mind attaching your Config.log file here? It gives a great overview of your hardware and settings.

Thank you! Standard smile

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 5 of 7 (1,325 Views)

Re: Bugged shadows with reflections and post-processing off

[ Edited ]
Champion

@MintMario Impressive troubleshooting!! 

I am also seeing the occasional and somewhat elusive square shadows thing. I also tried the workaround with the SSAO file, and the issue persists. 

I would suddenly notice the square shadow under a Sim or pet on the lot, then most of the time by the time I paused it was gone or a weaker square shadow (less impressive to screenshot), or it showed up when I paused or hovered, then went away after, things like that. Very weird. I saw this on two different lots while playing yesterday.

I'm on an iMac, Catalina 10.15.5; Retina 5K, 27-inch; 
3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5; 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3; AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB). I own all packs. No Mods or CC ever. These are my graphics settings and a few screenshots of the issue:
Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 5.06.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 3.22.35 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-04 at 3.17.53 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-04 at 3.58.21 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-07-03 at 4.54.50 PM.png

SheriGR   I don’t work for EA.

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png
Me Too – if you also have this problem | XP – for helpful comments
Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 6 of 7 (1,311 Views)

★ Apprentice

Here it is! 

Attachment
Download this attachment
Message 7 of 7 (1,267 Views)