Re: Blank screen after update - HELP!

by sparilis

Original Post

Blank screen after update - HELP!

★ Guide

I have a MacBook Pro, mid-2012, 2.3ghz Intel Core i7, with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB and Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB with 16gb of RAM. I've had no troubles running Sims 3 that couldn't be fixed with an NRAAS mod (Errortrap, Overwatch, Traveler). I upgraded to High Sierra without issue. I could play in the highest graphics resolution in either full screen or windowed mode. 

On Dec 13, I upgraded to 10.13.2 which was just supposed to just contain security patches and minor fixes - none of them graphics-related. However, since then, I cannot play in full screen. When I launch the game, it starts in full screen. I can switch between full screen and windowed mode as it is starting up. But once I am in the game that I am playing, assuming it has loaded while I am in full screen, I can switch to windowed mode with no trouble. But if I try to switch back to full screen, the screen goes black and all I can see is the cursor. At that point. I can go back to windowed mode and play that way, but I can't go back to full screen without it turning black again.

I tried removing my entire /Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3 folder to the desktop and starting a fresh game. Didn't help. I tried lowering my resolution. Didn't help. I contacted EA support and was told that Sims 3 isn't supported beyond Mavericks. 

I don't know what else to do. Am I stuck with this?

Message 1 of 3 (388 Views)

@sparilis

Apple typically never list everything in an update so they may have tweaked something and we don't know. The game isn't supported past Mavericks as the last update was in January 2014 so unfortunately it is hit or miss as to whether you'll be able to play or not Frown

Your issue is a bit strange though. Are you changing windowed/full screen in settings or toggling with CMD and Return?

Have you installed anything else on your Mac recently? Or any CC/Mods or downloads from the Exchange?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 3 (362 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I took my entire Sims folder out of my Documents/Electronic Arts directory, started the game, and let the game create a completely new Sims folder. So any CC or Mods that I have wouldn't have loaded. The problem happens when I toggle between full screen and windowed mode using CMD-Return. 

Message 3 of 3 (354 Views)