About to throw my MacBook and Sims games in the bin!

by CinderellaGirl91

Original Post

Accepted Solution

About to throw my MacBook and Sims games in the bin!

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

So I have all the expansion and stuff packs which I have recently added to Origin so I can play the games on my MacBook Pro. I found out that Ambitions, Late Night, Outdoor Stuff and Fast Lane stuff do not work, an unknown error comes up and I was unable to play the game. I got that fixed thankfully HOWEVER I purchased Into the Future and it has totally screwed up my games so I uninstalled all the games and went to reinstall them including Into the Future however my Origin went nuts and completely shut down. I went to uninstall my Into the Future games however the following issue comes up 'The operation can't be completed because original item for The Sims 3 Uninstaller can't be found' - how do I uninstall my game when I can't even access it? Also does anyone know how to get into the future to work with out it going berserk (I purchased it from Steam and got the key code from that)? TIA

Edit: Not sure what happened but when I went onto Origin to quickly look at my games The Sims 3 and expansion/stuff packs have download on them (rather than 'play') so I went to my applications and the icons disappeared and they were a blank box, does this mean my game has completely uninstalled? Also has I looked at my expansion packs some of them have two buttons, download and to buy as a gift (Into the Future, Pets, Seasons, Showtime, Supernatural, University Life) whereas only a few have a download button (World Adventures, Late Night, Ambitions, Island Paradise, Generations) - what does this mean? Does it mean that my Pets, Seasons etc games are corrupted and cannot be installed properly? TIA

Message 1 of 5 (656 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: About to throw my MacBook and Sims games in the bin!

[ Edited ]

@CinderellaGirl91  The issue of certain packs not downloading has been around for a few months now.  There's a workaround that helps in most cases; hopefully, it'll help you too:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/Sims-3-packs-not-downloading-through-Origin-mac-OS/m-p/719785...

If this doesn't fix the issue, or if you can download a few more packs but not all of them, please list the packs you have been able to download, the ones you still can't, and where you bought them (Origin, disc, Steam) if you remember.  If this issue is in fact being more stubborn now than before, it's important information to have.

Edit:  I've moved your post to the dedicated Sims/mac section, since your issue is related to mac OS.  If you need any more help, please let us know.  In particular, if some of your packs won't download, please post back so I know to keep you updated along with the other players experiencing the same issue.  The workaround I mentioned still helps most mac users, but apparently not everyone, so I'll post an update whenever EA finds a proper fix.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (599 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]

@CinderellaGirl91  Okay, this sounds like a bit of a mess.  But it should absolutely be fixable.  The first thing to do is a clean uninstall; even if the uninstaller isn't working (which is typical), you can still manually delete the game's program files and hidden library files.  Here's an excellent guide:

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Just to make sure there's nothing weird going on with Origin, you can run the reset tool for macs as well:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

Next, download the base game and run the Super Patch (digital download version) to patch to 1.67.  Don't patch through the launcher—it often doesn't do a thorough job.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

If the game launches, you can install your packs again.  Ambitions, Late Night, Fast Lane, and Outdoor Living will need the same two workarounds you applied before, but the key is that you have to copy their files into the folder for Into the Future, which will be your newest pack by release date.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-packs-not-showing-as-installed/

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-3-Unknown-Error-in-El-Capitan-Sierra-High/...

If the patched base game won't launch on a computer that ran TS3 before, that almost always means that there are some leftover hidden library files that didn't get removed during the uninstall process.  If you're completely sure you removed them, you can uninstall again, create a new admin user on your mac, install into that account, and then proceed with patching and installing packs.

P.S.  I have no idea what it means that Origin doesn't have a "purchase as a gift" option for some packs.  But as long as your game installs, I wouldn't worry about it.  You don't need Origin open to play TS3 on a mac anyway, so you won't have to deal with the app for long.

Message 2 of 5 (644 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddict Thanks so much for the advice, I managed to sort of fix it - some games now are able to download including Into the Future however some games are stuck with the 'download' button and I am unable to actually install them to play them. I find it interesting that I cannot download those games as they are also the games that say 'give as a gift' whereas the games I have managed to successfully download and installed to not have that option...

Message 3 of 5 (612 Views)

[ Edited ]

@CinderellaGirl91  The issue of certain packs not downloading has been around for a few months now.  There's a workaround that helps in most cases; hopefully, it'll help you too:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/Sims-3-packs-not-downloading-through-Origin-mac-OS/m-p/719785...

If this doesn't fix the issue, or if you can download a few more packs but not all of them, please list the packs you have been able to download, the ones you still can't, and where you bought them (Origin, disc, Steam) if you remember.  If this issue is in fact being more stubborn now than before, it's important information to have.

Edit:  I've moved your post to the dedicated Sims/mac section, since your issue is related to mac OS.  If you need any more help, please let us know.  In particular, if some of your packs won't download, please post back so I know to keep you updated along with the other players experiencing the same issue.  The workaround I mentioned still helps most mac users, but apparently not everyone, so I'll post an update whenever EA finds a proper fix.

Message 4 of 5 (600 Views)

★★ Novice

@puzzlezaddictThank you so much for the advice! It actually worked :D

Message 5 of 5 (479 Views)