A partial guide to 64-bit Sims 3 for macOS (in progress)

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

A partial guide to 64-bit Sims 3 for macOS (in progress)

[ Edited ]

This guide will be updated as we know more about how the game works, where it doesn't work so well, and what you can do about it.

Index

Major Issues/Game won't load

• Installation Verification Failure [should be fixed]
  • Error:  Your The Sims 3 base game is incompatible with the current Sims 3 expansion pack
  • 64-bit base game or packs are missing from Origin [should be fixed]
  • Game downloads but won't install [partial fix in Nov. 9 patch]

Minor Issues: Graphics/installation

• Game has worked, but Origin now says Finalizing instead of Play
  • Strange error in the launcher's Game Updates tab [fixed in Nov. 9 patch]
  • The game runs slowly/with low fps
  • Red flashing game window (master thread)
  • Bulky eyelashes/shiny or grainy hair (master thread)
  • Sculpture blocks not rendered properly (master thread)
  • Windows flash with snow on ground (master thread)
  • Graphics performance issues (general)
  • Store content doesn't work  (see also this thread)

Minor Issues: Gameplay

Frequently Asked Questions

• Can I run the 64-bit/Metal version of Sims 3?
  • How do I make sure I install the 64-bit version?
  • How do I uninstall the 64-bit version?
  • How Do I unstall the 32-bit version?
  • Will my old saves/households/builds/other content work?
  • Will my custom content work?
  • Will my store stuff work?
  • Will my mods work?
——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 1 of 4 (29,932 Views)

Major issues

[ Edited ]

Major issues 

Installation Verification Failure

At the Main Menu, you may see this:

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 11.34.41 AM.png

EA is aware of the issue, and a fix is being pushed out starting now.  It will take a few days to reach all players, so please be patient.  (See this post for details.)  This is the master thread for the issue; feel free to post and/or subscribe to be notified of updates.

Error:  Your The Sims 3 base game is incompatible with the current Sims 3 expansion pack

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 17.22.24.png

Trash the Version.tag file in the Sims 3 folder in Documents > Electronic Arts.

64-bit base game or packs are missing from Origin

All entitlements for the Sims 3 base game and packs should now have been applied to the 64-bit version as well.  If you're still missing content, please contact EA customer support for help.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

Say specifically that for your missing content, you need an "entitlement" added to the 64-bit version of Sims 3.  If the support rep doesn't understand or can't help, feel free to request a supervisor.

Game downloads but won't install

The game sometimes downloads but doesn't install, and when the orange Install button is clicked, it changes to Finalizing for a few seconds before returning to Install.

won't install 2.png

This error is known to happen when trying to install on an unsupported Mac or in an unsupported OS.  To see whether your Mac is supported, please check its specs against this list:

Spoiler

To see your computer's specs, click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select About This Mac.  These are the full minimum and recommended requirements:

(copied from this origin.com page)

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better
RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
HARD DRIVE: At least 15 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AMD Radeon RX 560, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 or better
INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.

RECOMMENDED REQUIREMENTS:
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5 or better
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AMD Radeon RX 560, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 or better
MEMORY: 8GB RAM
HARD DRIVE: 18 GB of Hard Drive space

If your Mac meets ALL the minimum requirements and you get this error, please run the Origin reset tool for macOS and try again.

If you still get this error, please start a new thread listing the specs of your Mac: everything in the About This Mac menu other than your serial number.

Message 2 of 4 (29,835 Views)

Re: A partial guide to 64-bit Sims 3 for macOS (in progress)

[ Edited ]

Minor issues: Graphics/installation

(jump to Minor issues: Gameplay)

Game has worked, but Origin now says Finalizing instead of Play

Click on the gear under the Finalizing/Play button and select Repair, then the Play button should come back.  If that alone doesn't help, run the Origin reset tool for macOS and try again.

I see a strange error in the launcher's Game Updates tab

Update:  This should be gone now.

update tab error.png

This is irrelevant and unrelated to other issues, and it can be ignored.  If there are any updates for this game, they'll be delivered directly through Origin, not through the launcher.

The game runs slowly/with low fps

Try reducing the in-game resolution.  If you're using fullscreen mode, make sure to pick a resolution scaled to the native resolution of your monitor.  To find its native resolution, click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen, select About This Mac, then Displays.  Choose a scaled resolution in-game, for example if your native resolution is 2880x1800, choose a lower resolution with a 16:10 aspect ratio (e.g. 1440x900 or 1280x800.)

It's also (still) a good idea to reduce the graphics settings for water and high-detail lots, no matter how powerful your graphics card is.  "Mirrors only" and 2, respectively, should work; higher settings can be difficult for the game engine to handle.

Red flashing game window

Please use this thread for reports:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-red-flashing-game-window/m-p/966...

Include screenshots or a video, and also attach your deviceconfig.log, in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  You can delete your user and computer names, about 25 lines down, but there's nothing else in that file that can identify you.

Bulky eyelashes/shiny or grainy hair

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-bulky-eyelashes-grainy-hair/m-p/...

Include a couple screenshots, and also attach your deviceconfig.log, in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3.  You can delete your user and computer names, about 25 lines down, but there's nothing else in that file that can identify you.

Sculpture blocks not rendered properly

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-Sculpture-blocks-not-properly-re...

Windows flash with snow on ground

If you're not sure what I mean, here's an example:

Please click Me Too and post in this thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-Windows-flash-with-snow-on-groun...

Graphics performance issues

Please see this collection thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Poor-graphics-low-resolution-graphics-glitches-TS3-64...

If the suggestions don't help, please click Me Too and add your information to the thread.

Store content doesn't work

EA-made content from the Sims 3 Store does need to be redownloaded and installed fresh; content originally installed in the 32-bit version of Sims 3 won't work.  All your existing content should still show up in your Purchase History: click Store > My Store Account > Purchase History to view it.

If you click Install in the launcher's Downloads tab but nothing happens, close the launcher and open it, then try again.

If you get a critical error, please try these steps, in this exact order:

• Run the Origin reset tool for macOS, and restart your computer.
  • With Origin closed, open a Finder window, hold the optn/alt key, click Go at the top of your screen, and select Library.  Open Application Support > Origin, and create a folder called Installer Data (exactly that, no variation).
  • Open Origin, right-click (or hold down crtl and click) on the Sims 3 icon, and select Repair.
  • Open the launcher and try to download one item.
  • If it works, you can continue downloading your content in small batches.

Please keep in mind that the splash screen and installer window may be completely covered by the launcher.  If you have two plumbobs in your dock, click the second one to bring up the hidden window.

Minor issues: Gameplay

The cheat console won't open

Use cmd-shift-C.  Yes, it's always been crtl-shift-C, but not anymore.

Keyboard commands stick or don't release

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Keyboard-commands-don-t-release-Sims-3-64-bit/m-p/966...

Glitchy camera controls

Please click Me Too in this thread, and add any additional details you have:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-Camera-controls-don-t-properly-c...

All open water options missing

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-All-open-water-options-missing/m...

Terrain paint doesn't apply

Please click Me Too in this thread, and post any additional details you have:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Terrain-paints-not-applying-TS3-64-bit/m-p/9667984#M1...

Insects and nanites can't be collected

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-64-bit-Cannot-collect-insects/m-p/96749...

Message 3 of 4 (29,829 Views)

[ Edited ]

Can I run the 64-bit/Metal version of Sims 3?

Your Mac needs to support Metal AND run a version of macOS that supports Metal.  For the former, please see this list of Metal-capable Macs.  For the latter, while all OSs starting with El Capitan (10.11) do support Metal, the minimum requirements for this game include High Sierra (10.13).

To see your computer's specs, click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select About This Mac.  These are the full minimum and recommended requirements:

Spoiler

(copied from this origin.com page)

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better
RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
HARD DRIVE: At least 15 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AMD Radeon RX 560, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 or better
INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.

RECOMMENDED REQUIREMENTS:
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5 or better
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AMD Radeon RX 560, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 or better
MEMORY: 8GB RAM
HARD DRIVE: 18 GB of Hard Drive space

How do I make sure I install the 64-bit version?

DL 64-bit.png

Please be sure to uninstall the old version first.  You can follow this excellent guide to clean uninstalling the 32-bit version.

How do I uninstall the 64-bit version?

Open your Origin game library, right-click (or hold down crtl and click) on the Sims 3 icon, and select Uninstall.

How Do I unstall the 32-bit version?

Please follow this guide; keep in mind that the uninstaller is also 32-bit and therefore won't run in Catalina.

Will my old saves/households/builds/other content work?

Any content you've created in-game should be transferrable to your new install.  It's still a good idea to move or rename the Sims 3 folder in Documents > Electronic Arts and let the game spawn a new one.  From there, you can move any content you'd like to keep to the new folder from the old one.

Please see this list of user files for an explanation of the contents of your Sims 3 folder.

Will my custom content work?

Yes, both .package- and .Sims3Pack-based custom content work fine.  For the latter, if you do get an error, please make sure that the content doesn't rely on an underlying item (EP/SP/Store content) you don't own.

Will my store stuff work?

Yes.  You will however need to redownload it from scratch.

Will my mods work?

Mods appear to be working, including core mods (e.g. NRaas ErrorTrap) made to work with patches 1.67 or 1.69.  As of this writing, it appears that there are no significant errors and that mods in general are as compatible with the 64-bit version of TS3 as they are with other versions.

As always though, you use mods at your own risk, and make sure that any mods you download are listed as compatible with patches 1.67 and/or 1.69. If you don't know how to install your mods, please read the guide on the website where you found them.

Message 4 of 4 (29,828 Views)