64 bit game won't launch

by Kiera_Jade9743

Original Post

64 bit game won't launch

★★ Novice

Hi i recently purchased the sims 3 for my MacBook and I have received the 64 bit version and it launches on my 2020 MacBook but does crash sometimes and buffer/freeze; however i wanted to play the sims on my 2011 iMac also, however i tried to open the 64 bit and 32 bit version from origin on my 2011 iMac. The 32 bit version comes up with an unknown error when i try to launch it, and when i try to launch the 64 bit version it closes automatically and takes me back to origin. My 2011 iMac is running on High Sierra.

Please Help!!

TIA Standard smile

Message 1 of 11 (1,127 Views)

Re: 64 bit game won't launch

@Kiera_Jade9743  The 64-bit version of Sims 3 requires Metal, which your 2011 iMac doesn't support.  So it can only run the 32-bit version.

For the unknown error, please let me know which packs you currently have installed, and whether you've uninstalled any.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 11 (1,122 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay, Ambitions, generations, Supernatural, Island Paradise, High end loft stuff, Late night, University, Pets, Seasons. No i have not uninstalled any i only installed them last night. Also these expansion packs are listed under the 64 bit game, i'm not sure if these are installed also with my 32 bit game.

Message 3 of 11 (1,120 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Kiera_Jade9743   You can just uninstall the 64-bit version (open your Origin game library, right-click on the game's icon, select Uninstall), since it won't run on your computer.

For the 32-bit version, open a Finder window, click Applications, open the Sims 3 folder, right-click on the Sims 3 icon (the base game icon, a plain green plumbob), and select Open Package Contents.  From there, open Contents > Resources > Add-Ons.  Take a screenshot, and post it here, or just list all the packs you see.

Message 4 of 11 (1,110 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Late night, Pets, University, Supernatural, Seasons, Generations and Ambitions.
Message 5 of 11 (1,101 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict oh and high end loft stuff
Message 6 of 11 (1,100 Views)

@Kiera_Jade9743  Start by running the Super Patch (digital download version) to manually patch the game to 1.67.  The launcher doesn't always do a thorough job of patching on its own.

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-manual-super-patch-for-mac-1-67/

The two packs that need extra help are Ambitions and Late Night; the others should be fine.  Each one needs two workarounds.  The first is to create an alias (icon) for each one in Applications > The Sims 3, alongside the base game icon.  (The other packs should already each have one.)  This is simple:

https://bluebellflora.com/sims-3-packs-not-showing-as-installed/

The second workaround is to copy a folder from Ambitions and a folder from Late Night into a folder for your newest pack by release date, which in your case is University Life.  The video in this post shows where to find the folders and how to copy them over:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/CURRENT-ISSUE-Sims-3-Unknown-Error-in-El-Capitan-and-...

If you still get the unknown error, or a different error, please let me know.

Message 7 of 11 (1,083 Views)

★ Novice

I have a MacBook Air. I bought Sim-3 and Sims-4 on Origin, I believe a year ago.  Sims-4 works great but Sims-3 crashes right away.  I have no cc or anything on Sims-3 because I've never played it.

Message 8 of 11 (909 Views)

[ Edited ]

@sunny10212021  Please try turning lighting and tree detail down to the minimum settings, and disabling Advanced Rendering as well if you've installed the Pets expansion.

If that doesn't help, please list the packs you've installed, whether there are any pets in the household you're trying to play, and the world you're currently trying to play in.

Message 9 of 11 (902 Views)

★ Novice

I can't even get that far. I have no expansion packs or anything for it because it never worked.   

Message 10 of 11 (879 Views)