64-bit game doesn't load or shuts down

by orhidia

Original Post

Accepted Solution

64-bit game doesn't load or shuts down

★★★★★ Newbie

Hello,

I am a mac user and haven’t been able to play ts3 since I installed the 64-bit version.

I used the 32-bit version on Sierra, then upgraded to Big Sur and downloaded the 64-bit version from Origin. Unfortunately, I hadn’t uninstalled the 32-bit version before. Following the installation of 64, I couldn’t find it anywhere on my mac, it seemed there is only the 32 version there, although Origin claimed 64 is installed. When trying to launch the game, I was still receiving messages that the software is incompatible with mac.

Then, I uninstalled the 32 base game with the help of a cleaning software (the ts3 uninstaller didn’t work for some reasons). I couldn’t uninstall the extensions in the same way, so I put them in the bin and also deleted the whole ts3 folder from the Libraries / Documents / EA folder.

Being rid of 32, I uninstalled the 64-version via Origin and installed it again. This time it appeared in the Applications, as it was supposed to, but only the base game with no extensions (although I saw the extensions download). The game still didn’t launch. I received the message claiming that “Your The Sims 3 Base Game is incompatible with the current Sims 3 Extension Pack. Please update your game via the game launcher.” Game launcher redirected to Origin, and Origin claimed the game and extensions are updated.

I suspected that I failed to uninstall the extensions of the 32-version and that it might be the source of the problem. Then I found the “A partial guide to 64-bit Sims 3 for macOS” thread, followed the advice in the second post and trashed the version.tag file. The game finally loaded and there are no problems at Main Menu, BUT everything shuts down a few seconds after the selected family loads.

Also, in the Main Menu I can select my old family (from 32-version), even though I deleted the old ts3 folder and haven’t used the backup saves yet… So it looks like the game is running on some 32-version files I cannot locate (?)

Please help.

Message 1 of 6 (520 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: 64-bit game doesn't load or shuts down

@orhidia  Yes, you can copy and paste the saves; there's no special process to transfer them.  The only possible issue with the saves themselves is if they were played with an expansion you don't have installed right now, in which case they might not load at all, or if they do, they may run badly, cause a crash, or fail to save.

It's also a good idea to delete the five cache files in your Sims 3 user folder:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

As for Pets, your graphics chip is one of the models that doesn't run the expansion well at all.  My sense is that some people can play on your hardware with Pets installed, but I know that many can't.  It would be unfortunate to buy the pack only to find that you need to uninstall it completely in order to play.

If you really want the pack in your game, keep an eye out for a potential patch.  It's not clear whether EA will release one, or what would be in it, but it's possible there will be some fix to make Pets work better on integrated graphics chips.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 6 (452 Views)

All Replies

@orhidia  Saves and other user files are stored in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3, so unless you deleted this folder as well, your saves would be available.  It's worth trying to play in a clean folder first, in case some other data from the 32-bit version is interfering.  Move the Sims 3 folder to your desktop, and when you open the launcher, a new folder will spawn with no content.  Don't add anything yet; just start a new save and see how it runs.

If the game still crashes, please post the full specs of your Mac: everything under About This Mac except for the serial number.  Please also list the packs you've installed.

Message 2 of 6 (493 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you for the answer. Unfortunately, it didn’t help. Mac info:

macOS Big Sur (version 11.2.2)

Processor: 1,6 GHz double core Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

I have Four Seasons, Late Night, Careers and Generations.

You’re right, I haven’t deleted the Documents / EA / The Sims 3 folder. I meant to do so but eventually forgot, sorry for the confusion. Should I delete it and try again?

Message 3 of 6 (489 Views)

[ Edited ]

@orhidia  You don't need to delete the Sims 3 user folder, but it would be useful to move the folder elsewhere temporarily, to see whether the game loads.  If you get to the Main Menu, don't change any graphics settings (yet), unless you want to try switching to windowed mode.  Please load a new save in Sunset Valley, or at least try to, and let me know how it goes.

It should be noted too that your graphics chip is below the minimum requirement for the 64-bit version of Sims 3.  That doesn't necessarily mean you can't play, just that you might not get good performance.

Message 4 of 6 (478 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

@puzzlezaddict you’re a hero indeed! Moving the folder elsewhere completely solved the issue. The game created a new folder in Documents / EA with no saved games. I played for 2 hours and didn’t notice any major problems. In order to recover the old saved games, should I just copy-paste them from the old into the new folder or is there something I should be cautious about?

Also, may I ask why it’s relevant which extensions I have? I was about to purchase pets from Origin, but after all these problems with 64-bit version I am not sure if this is a good idea… any advice?

Many, many thanks again!

Message 5 of 6 (467 Views)

@orhidia  Yes, you can copy and paste the saves; there's no special process to transfer them.  The only possible issue with the saves themselves is if they were played with an expansion you don't have installed right now, in which case they might not load at all, or if they do, they may run badly, cause a crash, or fail to save.

It's also a good idea to delete the five cache files in your Sims 3 user folder:

• CASPartCache.package
  • compositorCache.package
  • scriptCache.package
  • simCompositorCache.package
  • socialCache.package

As for Pets, your graphics chip is one of the models that doesn't run the expansion well at all.  My sense is that some people can play on your hardware with Pets installed, but I know that many can't.  It would be unfortunate to buy the pack only to find that you need to uninstall it completely in order to play.

If you really want the pack in your game, keep an eye out for a potential patch.  It's not clear whether EA will release one, or what would be in it, but it's possible there will be some fix to make Pets work better on integrated graphics chips.

Message 6 of 6 (453 Views)