Re: 32 bit save crashes after converting game to 64 bit

by calicogirl12

Original Post

32 bit save crashes after converting game to 64 bit

★ Novice

Hi, I’ve run into a bit of trouble with switching from 32 bit to 64 bit. It installed just fine and all and it is completely functional when I started a new world but it seems to have trouble with one of my older worlds/saves. The world loads but I immediately get the Missing Objects notice, I click accept  because I don’t care about whatever few objects are replaced and the game immediately crashes. I somehow managed to get through that problem and then discovered that as soon as I saved, it would immediately crash after ‘saving’, unfortunately without having saved. I tried this again but chose Save As but it crashed again. So I rebooted my computer, unfortunately now I’m back to the Missing Objects bulletin crash and I honestly have no idea how I got through that in the first place 😂. Would love some advice.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 6 (327 Views)

@calicogirl12  Have you confirmed that all of your packs are installed in the 64-bit version?  What you've described would not be surprising if you were missing an EP that you'd previously had present when playing this save.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 6 (320 Views)
Highlighted

★ Novice

Yes I believe so

Message 3 of 6 (314 Views)

@calicogirl12  Still, please check, because again, this would be the expected result, or at least one of them, if you didn't have all your expansions installed.  Stuff packs and store worlds are less critical, unless of course the save takes place in that world, but it's worth checking too.  The missing objects warning could come from an expansion or stuff pack or missing store content, or custom content for that matter.

If that's not the issue, I can take a look at your save if you want.  Feel free to upload it somewhere and send me the link either here or via private message.  Saves are located in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3  > Saves.

Message 4 of 6 (283 Views)

★ Novice

Hmmm, what's odd is that the launcher tells me all of the expansions are installed and the game otherwise behaves as if all the expansion packs were installed, but an external installer never opened and there are no applications for each of the expansion packs like there were before I switched to 64 bit. Origin believes they are installed too, I checked the downloads cache. I don't think the save is the problem because it was perfectly playable once I managed to somehow get past the missing objects problem... The launcher also refuses to install multiple store items I used to have, it will install them and then when I quit the launcher the items disappear. I'm wondering if I should just give up on this old save.

Message 5 of 6 (268 Views)

@calicogirl12  The 64-bit version of Sims 3 is installed differently: no external installer, no expansion pack folders buried within the .app.  The packs are now installed in a "The Sims 3 Packs" folder either in Applications or in Users > your username > Applications.

The store content disappearing can be caused by iCloud uploading the contents of Documents to cloud storage, although there are other causes as well.  If you'd like to troubleshoot it as well, let me know.

I'd still be happy to take a look at your save, if you want, but I understand not everyone is comfortable sharing.  It's a bit difficult to say whether the underlying issue is save corruption, or something about the missing objects, or something that doesn't work well in the 64-bit version, e.g. playing with the Pets EP on integrated Intel graphics chips.  But some of these issues are not really solvable: save corruption may or may not be reversible, and removing Pets would make a save unplayable anyway.

Message 6 of 6 (265 Views)